Follow

I've thought of this, the sometimes frantic search for TP now, and ironically saw an article on it this morning: Bidets.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/bidet-sales-soar-as-toilet-paper-sells-out-amid-coronavirus-fears/ar-BB11izAn?ocid=msedgdhp

The retrofit cost is nominal. And think how many trees would be saved, to live another day and help cool the earth: about 54 million trees are processed and eventually sacrificed in the porcelain throne.

This just seems like such a natural upgrade, cleaner, less environmentally damaging through the loss of trees, and easier, especially for older folks.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I couldn't find any TP from my normal supplier but did order some from an office supply company. I suppose if nothing else worked one could order those huge rolls they have in restaurants and hotels. One should last quite a long time.

Dd said environmentalists she knows recommend fabric pieces and a bleach pail like some of us used for diapers many years ago. I was glad when disposable diapers came in. But if there is nothing else...
(2)

Some people keep TP, kleenex, paper towels, soap, etc. all the time in case of times like this; guess it's a good idea. Not hoarding at all, just being prudent. Guess what? Tried a spray bottle (#1, save TP for #2), and it worked! In summer will even feel good....
(1)

Yay! CM

Who would have ever thought we would be cheering over toilet paper 🧻, right? Funny and sad at the same time. Just kind of bizarre.

Then again, we are so spoiled. There wasn’t any toilet paper available in the US before 1857!

So, I must be bored or going a bit stir crazy to look up the date of when toilet paper was available in the US. Hahaha.
(3)

I am delighted to report that my usual supermarket was stocking my usual choice of a 4-pack of Classic Andrex (white) today. To demonstrate my (bruised and shaken) faith that normality WILL return I bought my usual one x 4-pack, spurning the 9-packs on the shelf below.

Act Normal & Conquer!

I forgot to check the price and I didn't want a till receipt (the assistant did offer me one, while reaching for her six-foot long tongs). I expect my bank will let me know if there's a problem...
(3)

GA,

I think the words hoarding and selfish are interchangeable in this case, right? We are all sick of going to several stores before finding TP. Well, not me but my husband is. I’m staying home!
(1)

Momma13, it's a problem for folks here because OTHERS are hoarding.
(2)

There's a Toilet Paper Recession.  We can buy gasoline for a buck or two, but you'll need $100 to get a pack of TP.  That's how we roll.....
(2)

What is with you people and the toilet paper? STOP hoarding and it won't be a problem for anyone.
(2)

Cheese cloth
(1)

I bought the bidets for all three bathrooms and had installed. They work great. We have no toilet paper shortage here so far. But I’ve always kept my linen closet full of p3aper products.
(1)

Peri Bottle on Amazon.
AKA Post-partum bottle, 15 oz. using warm water and Witch Hazel, an antiseptic.

One choice was not available. The pink bottle was available.
(1)

Someone needs to post instructions on how to MacGyver something into a bidet. Just in case.
(0)

The instok website isn’t accurate at all and cannot be relied on ;)

Needhelp, that is true. The flushable wipes are not flushable.

I FOUND TOILET PAPER! Not the good kind. And not a lot BUT.....the locally owned grocery store had a few packages of el cheapo toilet paper when I went to get the worshetshire sauce. All they had were 4 packs, some super cheap 100% recycled TP. The kids can use it. I bought 2 packages. It looks be the same poor quality TP you’d find in most public restrooms but it’s better than nothing! We have a big pack of quilted northern coming from amazon on 4/23.

I also found a brand new package of 16ct Frozen themed birthday party napkins hidden away in one of my pantries! Woo-hoo! These are left over from one of br daughters birthday party’s back in 2012 or 2013! I haven’t been able to find napkins in weeks either. We have about 4 days worth of regular napkins left. Once those are gone, we have a stack of fancy dinner napkins we will use (left over from Christmas even) and then we will use the left over football themed dessert napkins from my sons birthday party this past January and the Frozen napkins. After that.....everyone will get a wash cloth assigned to them daily!
(2)

As I mentioned on yesterdays post, a website called instok.org will help find what is available in the nearest store to you.
(1)

Cali,

I have heard that even the wipes that say, ‘flushable’ on the package really aren’t flushable.

I can see how it would clog up the pipes.
(1)

People here hoarded wipes and now it’s causing a major plumbing problem because they were too stupid to know that the wipes can’t be flushed! And these are the same dirty folks who DON’T flush toilet paper! Amazing isn’t it? They throw forces covered TP in the trash.....but they flush wipes!
(2)

This makes me crazy. There is no shortage of toilet paper. The production of toilet paper is at record levels. There are no supply or transportation problems. The only problem is people hoarding. If your neighbors can't get toilet paper, they may use paper towels, baby wipes or napkins. This is going to cause a plumbing problem. Have you seen what happens when the neighborhood sewer gets blocked? Sewage backs up into the houses. It bubbles up out of the toilet and the tub and the sink. All the toilet paper in the world won't help you when your toilet turns into a Vesuvius of poop.

If you have more than 40 rolls of toilet paper in your four person household, you are the problem. There is plenty of toilet paper. You don't need to have a year's supply in the house.
(3)

My son works near a Costco Business Center. This is different that a "typical" Costco since it caters to large businesses and restaurants, but our memberships get us in just the same. There are not that many and they are less well known and you will have to buy even larger quantities of TP but here in MN it had lots available. You can maybe go in with other neighbors to purchase it. I'm more concerned about finding yeast...
(0)

Needhelp, nope still haven’t found TP. Gonna run up to the local supermarket in a bid and try my luck there. I need worshteshire (however you spell) sauce.

lilhelp Costco.com has a few different bidet varieties-seats and toilets. The attachment bidet is sold out though.
(1)

Evidently, there's a run on bidets, too!  Bidets are sold out all around here, too .. the attachment ones.  Didn't check the bidet toilets.  Saw a travel bidet; a spray bottle!  Pretty sure can make that with something.
(1)

Cali,

Any luck finding paper?
(1)

Well, my hubby is in. He’s 65. I’m 64.
(0)

THEY UPPED THE SENIOR AGE FROM 60 to 65 to get in line early... But my hubby doesn't and refuses to get in line for anything... oh well... he has plenty of socks with holes,,,DARN THOSE SOCKS !!! :) I cerntainly wont
(1)

not sure if it would be easier, can you imagine an outdated lawn chair with the seat missing and hose n nozzle underneath it? someone sent me a pic.. the outdoor bidet,, cheap yet it works !! Just don't let the neighbors see you....

been out of tp for a couple of weeks... went to 5 stores yesterday.. none to be had, so we use tissue. 2 ply just separate them.... and if all need be use a bit of baby wipe.. or just take a shower... wash cloths and towels clean up good in the wash machine...even that one lonely sock.

SURPRISINGLY ... BOTTLE WATER IS AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE NOW !!! IN MASS QUANTITIES !! No LIMIT ON THAT.. AMAZING. So, I am sure that TP will follow suit...

WISH I DID GET STOCK IN SCOTT!!!
(1)

Worried, now you've given ME some ideas!   I forgot about all the old t-shirts with holes in them, too raggedy to repair, old clothes that don't fit...now I have a good use for them.

Isn't it interesting how dire necessities and hardship can inspire us to consider what we might otherwise not have considered?
(2)

Thanks GA. So far my husband hasn’t had any symptoms. I forgot to ask if is his partner was able to get tested since he was for sure exposed to the employee that tested positive.

And thank you immensely-you just reminded me that 1)we have lots of rags. My hubby has tons of small shop towels in the garage, some that haven’t even been used yet. 2) I believe I still have some of my sons old burp rags! I need to go through his bottom dresser drawer & see what’s there. I know for sure I have a few small baby blankets that can be cut up and used if it comes to that!! I hadn’t thought of any of this. I did consider we could all use our mismatched socks though LOL!
Just remembered I think I have at least a bag or two of my sons baby clothes, the stuff that was stained and well worn that I didn’t think was suitable for donating or passing on to friends & family. So I think we will be ok if we have to wait until April 23rd for toilet paper!

i think we have 5 officers quarantined. Well that was as of Tuesday. The department was already suffering staffing shortages and my husband had been ordered to work one day of patrol a week (maybe it was per month?). So today he is working patrol. They have limited the calls they will respond to. They are not having briefing before each shift anymore. My hubby said they aren’t really enforcing the law right now. Not to say it’s a free for all, go out and do what you want because the cops ain’t gonna respond. But basically....as long it’s it’s not an emergency and no ones life is in danger, they aren’t going to respond. And they are probably going to start working a new schedule where they will work 7 days straight, 12 hour shifts, and then have 14 days off.....and Everyone will be pulled from their assignment (like the detectives and gang unit and the traffic cops) and sent to patrol.
(1)

Worried, you have my sympathy - you're having a tough time, worried about your husband and his potential exposure, as well as your children.   You shouldn't have to worry about toilet paper too!    It's unfortunate that this pandemic is happening as it is, in so many literally bizarre ways.

Thinking of what other suggestions might help....do you have any old rags that could be used for fluid projects, saving toilet paper for the solid projects?   You could save paper that way.   

I certainly hope your husband isn't positive.    One of the issues I've been concerned about is exposure to first line personnel:  medical personnel and first responders.    Already 300 are in quarantine at the Detroit PD.   

These people are really the front line defenders, brave people whose honor, bravery and care for their fellow human beings goes beyond concern for themselves.    

For my part, please thank your husband and ask him to thank his co-workers for their part in keeping America safe.
(2)

Well I just checked the amazon account to see if my speed rope has shipped and it hasn’t....but looks like hubby was able
to order toilet paper however it won’t be here until 4/23! We don’t have a months worth of TP LOL but hey better late than never! I’m sure I will find some soon.

I swear if the idiots keep hoarding all the essentials, they are gonna force some of us to send our senior citizen parents to “seniors hour” to shop for us! J/k!

just found out that Safeway here isn’t enforcing “seniors only” during seniors hour. WTH! They said they can’t morally stop anyone from coming in to the store. Also a chain grocery store on the east side of town aka the poor side of town has the audacity to be charging a FREIGHT FEE on bottled water! A case is $4.99, not unreasonable at all. Someone tried to buy 2 and the total came out to $24.99 because of a “freight fee”. It’s been reported to multiple authorities but really? Do they think they are above the law?
I believe this chain is only in California, it’s called Foods Co. shame on them!
(2)

If your local area has a Nextdoor.com intranet, you should join. You can put out an appeal to some or many and I think many kind neighbors will come up with needed supplies, especially if you're in a risk group or are a senior.
(1)

Thanks Shell. we have Lowe’s and Home Depot and it’s been hard to find TP there but I’ll be checking at least one of those placestomorrow. We have a dollar general but not a family dollar, I didn’t think about trying DG, I’ve never been to the one here.

GA we have office Max and I haven’t had luck there. The website says everything is unavailable to ship but available for pickup in my store, but when I add it to my cart it says sold out! I know I could call but I don’t trust them to give accurate info. I’m trying to limit where I go because my husband was Most likely exposed & if he hasn’t been yet, it’s only a matter time before he is m and if he’s got it but is asymptomatic and I get it....I could spread it every time I go out! It’s frightening to think about how fast we have the ability to spread this horrible virus! We have a weeks worth left of TP so it’s not quite time to panic LOL!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter