Follow

Nothing surprising about anything in the article to anyone here..

https://wapo.st/3EzLRUL

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Two quotes from comments after the article freqflyer mentioned about how more than half of Americans 50 and older are taking care of someone 65 and older.

"I'm seeing Old Seniors kill Young Seniors. Parents in their 90s with dementia are contributing to a rash of stress-related diseases, mainly cardiac, in 60 and 70-somethings. We have a crisis that people refuse to acknowledge here."

"When a woman appears on the scene, the menfolk scatter like rats."
(3)

The articles are interesting. Makes me very happy to have a big family who cares for me and helps me. Also very happy that I have the funds to pay for long term care should I need to go into a facility.
(2)

casole, thanks for that second link that says more than half of Americans, 50 and older are taking care of someone 65 and older.

Glad you are posting this "series" because for some strange reason it isn't in my delivered paper copy that I get daily from the Washington Post.
(2)

The WaPo algorithm has me now, another timely article about the sheer number of caregivers over the age of 50 right now.

https://wapo.st/3Xb0WDp
(0)

This is why my mom is with me. Thankfully we were never too dysfunctional as a family.
(1)

Heartbreaking article. Our family was blessed by the very good care my mother received in a nursing home. Never once a bedsore or fall. I’ll always believe that our family being on premises often made a big difference in her care. Maybe not the best side of human nature, but a truism that when the staff sees you care, they tend to care. Also, something I think is now a big factor, when my mom was in NH everyone didn’t have a cell phone practically attached to them. I’d really fear now the staff being far more distracted by phones, as I see it everywhere in most every job. And the lack of adequate staffing and pay is a sad commentary on what our society deems important. We’d rather offer ridiculously overinflated money to athletes and “stars” than to our most vulnerable, the people who helped make us who we are and make our country and world a better place.
(5)

casole, oh my gosh, the conditions are worse then I had thought. Not surprised that caregivers are leaving for better jobs. Here in my area one can work in fast food for $15/hour.

My biggest fear is that in the next few years when I may need caregiving help, finding good help will be few and far between.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter