Follow

The most surreal sort of conversation with my mom. I looked upset today and she asked what was wrong. And I told her how I have been working so hard and trying to do all of these things etc and how difficult it has been.

Also how hard it has been that she remembers a good chunk of what happens -- but for some reason her brain will record different sections of it having happened in an identical looking apartment but not this one, happening with a different Me (and she describes it as "the other / another" me) and so she overwhelms me, because apparently there are two to three of me who, in her perception/memory, are sharing the workload, or each me might have different information, etc. Even though!! she remembers that all three of the me's, will tell her there is only one, and we are all the same person.

This when she said, "Well, I must just be going a little bit senile" - without a touch of sarcasm or irony or anything. "You're doing your best! I wouldn't have been able to do this with my mother. You just worry about what you can handle! And if you have to do something? You just do it, and then tell me that you did it." Also said something along the lines of "Don't worry about when I start talking about crazy stuff, tell me I'm full of s*** and don't even worry about it. I don't want you to be upset about this. We'll do what we have to do."

This literally sounds like "Things that haven't happened ever" and its when she is saying things like this that I start trying to re-asses what the HECK is going on in her head >.<

I need to spend a few hours zoning out in front of my PC now. May everyone else also get a weird moment of clarity from someone. <3

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Your mother sounds very much aware of the changes in her life. She’s also thoughtful about how things are affecting you. I agree with 97yearoldmom, your mother sounds very sweet.

I cared for my mother in my home for over a decade. It was an extremely challenging time. I believe that it’s equally as hard for our parents.

Wishing you peace as you continue on in your caregiving journey.
(0)

OMG THANK YOU 97yroldmom. This seems to be exactly it. I think it is because she drifts in and out of discrete 'episodes' right now maybe.. ?

And has pretty solid memories of everything. Including many of the duplicates telling her "You've duplicated me again".

That's pretty much the term I"ve been using most of the time. It varies between two and three of me. At the moment again there's only two.
(3)

Your mom sounds like she has Capgrass syndrome. What’s unusual is she appears to recognize there is a problem.
Look it up and see if it fits. My FIL had this. Your mom sounds very sweet.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter