Follow

If your care giving duties allow you time to read.....................I'm interested in what book you are in the middle of or just finished or have waiting on your bedside table.

I'm reading "Total Control" by David Baldacci

It's a crime/thriller drama. Quite compelling.

If you can't find the time to read, you should try. It helps to escape from it all in a good book.

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
I just finished “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.” By Gail Honeyman. Previous to that, “Where the Crawdads Sing”. Both are Reese Witherspoon book club selections and both were very good reads.
(5)

I just picked up “Maybe You Should Talk to Someone” by Lori Gottlieb.
“A Therapist, Her Therapist and Our Lives Revealed”
(4)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It may not be for everyone, but I enjoyed it.
(7)

It suddenly dawned on me that this won't be the most interactive thread unless I've read the same book..............LOL
(2)

I enjoy reading the newspaper everyday, but a great book I read recently was called "The Boy in the Striped Pajama's".The ending was something else~
(4)

Only have time to read, or more accurately, reference self help books:
Boundaries by Cloud & Townsend. Then there is the huge amount of
WW materials handed out to learn the program.
And, I devour medical articles, even when I am not researching for someone else here on A/C forum.
So basically, I am unread.
There are a few books new on the shelf that I reviewed, but are unfinished.

Gershun, a thread doesn't have to be that interactive or even active to be a very interesting thread.

Maybe Bookluvr can come and have input here, an excellent topic for former caregivers too.
(3)

That's true Send.

Lucky, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a movie too I think.
(1)

Gershun...If they made a movie,I bet it's really good.Alot of times though,the book is better than the movie.I'd love to see it and compare~
(3)

So, put on your striped pajamas and keep calm everyone. Nite!
(2)

Eleanor Oliphant got thrown across the room when I got to the end.

It was a debut novel and I think her publishers must have pushed her towards that ending just to help her over the finishing line. Never mind that it was absolute bollocks and a shocking waste of what began as a sharp exploration of the issues.

But a good read, I agree :)

I am currently reading "Motherland," by Paul Theroux. I am slightly sorry I started. Perhaps it will cheer up in a bit, or perhaps it's not the best choice for forum members. Or perhaps it is! -

"'Machiavelli for beginners,' Floyd used to say. But I would think: Machiavelli, yes; beginners, no. Mother's was an advanced course in power."

Also, "The People In The Trees" by Hanya Yanagihara, but I've only just begun it. The author went on to write "A Little Life"which I read a couple of years ago; excellent, superbly written, but not for those of a sensitive disposition.
(1)

We are planning to move into our "retirement home" in the nex couple of years, and as it's the closest thing I might get to a 'dream house' I am reading Joanna Gaine's new book--"Homebody". I am going slow and enjoying her ideas and blending mine into it.

I kind of have like 4-5 books I am into at one time. Also reading "Prairie Fires"--a book about Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother, Caroline Quiner.
(2)

Recently, I took my grandchildren to the library to check out some books and while helping my granddaughter to find a book, I came across the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I have always been a voracious reader all my life, but for some reason, I never read them, though I have seen the TV series. I started with the first in the series, Little House in the Big Woods. I will tell you that within 15 minutes of reading it, my blood pressure probably dropped and I was transported to a time which I never lived through but felt as if I had. A time of peace and safety and comfort. Amazing writer. Full of details of growing up in the rural American frontier. Absolutely fascinating descriptions of everyday life while living off the land. So, this is what I have read recently. And now for book two!
(5)

Treeartist, I have LOVED those books since I was a wee thing and had Little House in the Big Woods read to me. Then, some years later, a school friend had the whole series in a boxed set and I sat and worked my way through the rest of them.

Peace and safety and comfort?!?!? When you went to milk your cow and accidentally smacked a bear on the bottom????

One thing (among hundreds!) that I particularly love about the series is that there is no sugar coating or pretending whatsoever, this is social and domestic history seen through anything but rose-tinted spectacles. It's an extraordinary account.

I also loved that the first black person Laura ever encounters is a doctor.

And that - oh, I could be here all night. It is a unique perspective, and drawn with fantastic clarity because her writing is so wonderfully lucid.

And jolly funny. You must read 'Farmer Boy' too - look out for Lucy, the pig.
(1)

CountryMouse,
I have only read through the first book which is written through the eyes of a very young child with little awareness of the dangers and hardships that her parents were protecting her from. I am sure Book two is going to be more realistic. What I described while reading the first book was a visceral reaction of remembering and identification. I marveled at it!
How words from a novel, like a poem, can strike a cord within us.
(2)

What about when she dragged Mary over the wood box when Pa was pretending to chase them? - '... strong as a little French horse!'

Gosh I'm going to have to go and buy another set :)
(2)

I'm listening to Harriet Wolf's Seventh Book of Wonders. I normally don't listen to audio books because my mind tends to wander (maybe I'm just not a very good listener). I wanted to read this book, and the library only had the audio version. I'm glad I'm listening because each character is read by a different person, and I can envision them so much better.

I subscribe to kindleunlimited for three months at a time when they offer it for .99. Then I read a lot of books I never would have otherwise. They do have a few best sellers, but most of the books are from Amazon published authors. Some of them are pretty good.

My favorite thing ever, though, is to find a new author. I used to work at the wondrous public library (another lifetime ago), and I admit I judged some books by their covers. I sometimes read a book solely because I liked the cover, and a few times I discovered authors I loved. What a joy to go back and read everything they had written!

Some of my favorite authors are: Elizabeth Berg, Catherine Ryan Hyde, Anne Tyler, Boo Walker (he's an Amazon guy), and Jeanne Ray.

Jeanne Ray's book, Step Ball Change might be my favorite book ever. It was written many years ago, but I read it every year because I enjoy it so much. Actually, my favorite favorite book ever is The Help. I have a feeling Kathryn Stockett is a modern day Harper Lee because she hasn't written another book since that debut novel.
(1)

Mom and I are reading the entire 'Moosetookalook" Scots series by Kaitlyn Dunnett,, a nice warm cozy series of mysteries set in Maine. We will read anything really.. but we like mysteries and historical settings. We are well known at our local library!!
(2)

Yea, I'm so glad you guys are posting about your favorite books. If I couldn't read I would probably go insane. Reading takes me out of myself like nothing else.

When mom was in nursing care and for about two years after she passed I couldn't read. My concentration had disappeared...............but now I'm back to reading my butt off. I love it!
(6)

I'm having fun googling the titles and the authors others are reading. I like reading reviews. Haven't decided what to read next, that is apart from various non fiction I am part way through. I have just started "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers:The Acclaimed Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases, and Coping by Robert Sapolsky
(4)

Iv'e always loved to read too Gershun,but when Mother was here and needed my care,there was never any time.Then,like you,I lost my concentration and I was only able to skim the newspaper after I lost her,but now,3 years and 5 months later,I am starting to be able to absorb what I'm reading and your'e right!Books are a wonderful escape~
(2)

I've added that series to my wish list on your recommendation pamz. I added Step Ball Change too kwagmyers🙂
I've mostly been scrolling randomly through my library's digital collection sampling anything remotely appealing that is actually available to borrow without a huge hold list. Currently I'm waiting on the latest Inspector Ian Rutledge book by Charles Todd and the last available October Day book by Seanan McGuire.
Oh, and the Miss Julia series by Ann B Ross is a fun, easy read.
(1)

Lu, I lost reading for years and years. When I first got CFS/FM (1993) I didn't have the concentration except for the books I used for teaching. I guess I was hard-wired for those. I was just getting it back when my youngest died in 2002 and I lost it again. I could read articles, but not books. Before all that, I was a voracious reader. The last few years I have slowly been reading more again, and am picking up speed. It's great! I think you will get it back.
(3)

Thanks Golden,You give me hope~
(3)

Still reading here!
(2)

I have been rereading Jane Eyre. No matter how many times I have read it, I love it. Jen Lancaster's books are good too. Jen Lancaster can be a little rough, especially her 1st book (Bitter is the New Black). I don't know how much or little profanity people like but Jen isn't afraid of it and uses it.
(2)

I love Jane Eyre. I especially loved the George C. Scott and Susanna
York version of the movie.
(3)

I love Jane Eyre too! And the movie and TV versions. My favorite is the old BBC miniseries I found on Amazon Prime with Timothy Dalton. He is a little too handsome to play Mr. Rochester, but his acting is superb, and the actress they got to play Jane looks just like she was described in the book.
(1)

Currently reading "Still Alice" by Genova.  Just finished reading "The Rooster Bar" by Grisham.  Try to read a book every two days to keep from going nuts!
(3)

I recall reading the Rooster Bar. It rings a bell. I've read a lot of Grisham's novels.
(2)

George C. Scott was just ugly enough to play Mr. Rochester.

I have a somewhat interesting story about George C. Scott. When I was seventeen they had a cattle call of sorts in my area looking for extras for local movies being shot in our area. My mom convinced me to apply. I did never thinking I'd get picked.

Much to my surprise one day the phone rang and I was asked to be in a movie. My mom let me take the day off school and off I went thinking it would be some lame local production. When I arrived it turned out to be the movie "The Changeling" not to be confused with "Changeling" which came out quite a few years later with Angelina Jolie. I was thrilled cause Jane Eyre with George C. Scott was my favorite movie and I happily watched it every time it came on. So when I arrived they upgraded me to a background waitress part. I got to be up close and personal with old George.

Unfortunately though, my part consists of a one second shot of the back of my head and my footsteps walking away. But it was a fun day and though I never did it again it was good for a laugh.
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter