Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Oh my gosh, your story is heartbreaking. I’m very sorry for the loss of your parents. I’m sorry that you have been misled by your grandmother. I’m sorry that she has taken advantage of your child.

Leave as soon as possible. Neither you or your son should continue to be her doormat for her to walk on.

I realize that you were helping her in order to secure payment and that you were promised a home for your labor. You clearly see now that she didn’t mean any of those promises.

Unfortunately, you and your son were used. The only thing that you should be focusing on now is building a life for you and your son. It looks like you have carpentry skills, painting and other handyman skills that you can use to find other jobs that will give you a paycheck.

Apply for help if needed. There has to be safety nets for people in need. Do not look at this as charity. You have a child and you and he are in need of temporary assistance.

Let your grandma figure out a way to find care for herself if you don’t want to be a part of it. It’s long past time to say goodbye. She has emotional and physical issues that are becoming too much for you and your son to handle.

Best wishes to you and your son.
(1)

FRom OP profile:I am caring for my grandmother, living at home with age-related decline, alzheimer's / dementia, anxiety, depression, mobility problems, sleep disorder, urinary tract infection, and vision problems.

About Me:
Hi I am a caregiver to my elderly grandmother.If it were just regular circumstances then it would be no problem .Throughout my life my grandmother has had to lead everyones life .Theres been no going against her unless you want to have yourself dis owned and the rug jerked out from under you.She was this way with almost everyone but especially close family which was my mother and my grandfather who are now both passed away.Ive prayed and read the bible and learned to be humble with those memories and started with a ckean slate.The problems are getting more in variety and deeper toward a harmful situation.See after my grandfather passed my mom and I were all she had so we both helped her out and allowed her to rule our lives in turn .My mother wasnnt allowed to have her own disability check and had a car but wasnt alliwed to drive it or go anywhere alone.My grandfather was so put out by my granddmother trying to rule his life that after an argument on christmas eve many years ago he tripped and fell and was paralyzed.He had got news of her birthday next day and had them pull the plug.It wasnt a gift either.Then my mom tried to help her but she always said mentally ill evefytime she mentioned my mother and would threaten her with mental institutions everytime she wanted her to do what or how she wanted.That plus messing with her meds and axtually committing her maybe a dozen times in her life.My moms passing was sort of suspect as well.That lleaves me and my problems.See My grandmother had gotten a reverse mortgage and we were all supposed to be passing down ownership of the house and land .Several verbal agreements made .Well now that I have put in nearly a decade of keeping the place up with little to no money to help it with and now she is nearing the end of her life she controls everything but doesnt allow me to have a girlfriend unless she likes her.like a 62 yr old woman I found to be a friend to my grandmother .now if i talk to anyone but her all hell breaks loose and I get threatened and dis owned.By the way I am actually in my early 50s.She walkes around mumbling to herself about plans to get me in trouble and has called cops on me but no fault was found.Not long ago I heard her going down the hall sayiying"if i could just get him to put his hands on me he would go to electric chair or jail for life."talking about me because I had been incarcerated before so jail is to me what the mental institution was to my mother.Anyway Ive been fooled for two years that I was supposed to be getting paid from her or her insurance .I was told by her and someone who was supposedly her case worker that all was needed was to have her doctor put in that she needed round the clock care.Well two years ago that happsned and we faxed it to caseworker.nothing for two years .meanwhile I cook.clean paint roof .landscape.tend to trees planted that has to be cut n trimmed yearly .hand dug sewer line and fix ed a few times .run errands.take her everywhere she needs to go and raise my 12 yr old son alone.She tricks him with money and then steals it back and calls him a worthless bum.Anyway my life is tied up in this and she is being so cruel and mean tio me it breaks my heart but it looks like Im going to be forced to stand up for myself and be made to sue becawuse of all the lies and stuff.I dont want to but I was working on the promise of pay 7 days a week and to be passed down the home Ive been kerping up well over 30 yrs..Any advice or resources .please any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are taking the word of a mentally ill woman with dementia to boot, who's incompetent to promise you anything! You've been doing this on an ongoing basis! I think you need to move out immediately & cut your losses
(2)

You have made a mistake. Promises to do anything mean nothing. Things need to be contracts and in writing, and even then try to get the money!
It would take years and attorney help to do if there still IS any money. In most cases it is long gone.I am sorry you put your trust into people clearly not worthy of it.

You might try small claims court if you have excellent proof of anything.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter