Follow
Read More
River,

Your hubby is a good cook! Glad you enjoyed your dinner. I love old fashioned, tried and true recipes.

Some of my favorite cookbooks are ones that I have bought from women at churches, with recipes from moms and grandmothers.

I have participated in lots of fundraisers for church and school fairs.

These cookbooks always sell out! They use ingredients that everyone stocks in their pantry that are budget friendly and delicious!
(1)

I'm saving that recipe for sure!!

Any one have crock pot dinner ideas for about 10 people, I could use some.

Once a month I have to make a meal for are boccie group. Last year I made manwichices but I know one doesn't like them. Made a beef stew once to. Anything with noodles gets to mushy. So if you all have any suggestions let me know
(1)

Nacy,

Pulled pork is fantastic in a crockpot. You could make bbq pulled pork sandwiches.

Chuck roast is also great in a crockpot. You can do roast beef sandwiches. Or do either rice or mashed potatoes with vegetables or a salad for a complete meal.

You can also make chicken breasts in the crockpot. Season chicken with taco seasoning and one can of diced tomatoes and onions for a Mexican dinner. Go to spendwithpennies.com for the recipe. Create a taco bar!

Have fun at your game!
(1)

And then, of course, there's that perennial favourite - chili!!!.
(1)

I make a great pulled pork , mashed potatoes , corn bread and a salad every year for my kids’ birthdays . Their birthdays are 7 days apart so we celebrate both at one meal .
(1)

Ana,

Barq’s is very popular here. I haven’t tried it but I know others who have. It’s good.
(0)

I tried cooking my pork in cola and found it way too sweet for my taste, I imagine root beer would be the same.
(0)

Chocolate cake made with Coke is good .
(1)

Coffee/espresso also enhances the flavor of chocolate.
(2)

Ana,

Barq’s is an excellent choice because it isn’t overly sweet. It has a unique flavor.
(0)

well I had a situation for the last few weeks, that I had to look up on the internet today. I feel my puppers steamed carrots along with her dry food. I steam a bit at a time and rewarm it when she eats, and lately some of the time it catches fire/sparks in the microwave! What the heck is this? Seems its not uncommon, and I just need to add a bit more water when I reheat it! It is from the minerals in the carrots.. What next? I also give her green beans, dump the can and rinse them off, then give her a handfull. They have never sparked.
(2)

Pam,

I have never had carrots spark in the microwave. That’s a new one for me.

Your pup is well loved. They are so sweet. I love my daughter’s dog.
(1)

Need it was new for me too, i have been giving her carrots for a year and this just started! I steam them, then dump out the water, and reheat them later. Maybe the new baby carrots I've been buying are more nutritious? She was getting towards being a "puddgy Pug" so we began adding vegies to her evening meal. She loves them,, and watermelon too!
(2)

Strange! Rocky, the ginger cat, loves butternut squash added to her wet food. I found frozen cubes of butternut squash and just nuke them then mash them up with the wet food. No sparks. I wonder if she would like carrots too.She likes a bit of lettuce as well. No weight issue there, the veggies keep the fur balls down,
(2)

I’ve had sparks in the micro from carrots
(3)

Beef and winter melon stew/soup for supper tonight. Tasty!!! I'll add some baby potatoes for R or it won't be enough.
(2)

Pam,

My daughter used to give her toy poodle green beans. He ate carrots too, but they were raw.

He died from Cushing’s disease. He was a sweetie.
(1)

I'm doing breakfast for dinner tonight: pancakes, eggs, bacon, and strawberries
(2)

I love breakfast for dinner!!

I was at my sister's today and stopped off at 3 stores on the way home to take advantage of grocery sales - I have SO MUCH fruits and veggies so for tonight I think a salad makes sense LOL
(3)

Im actually going to make , breakfast sandwiches , with large English muffins. 😂
(1)

Grilled salmon, cous cous and asparagus.
(2)

Just read an article from dietitians on avoiding ordering salads from popular restaurants.

I am glad that I make salads at home.

I don’t eat at any of these restaurants. Seriously, what is the point of ordering a salad out when they are prepared this unhealthy!

California Pizza Kitchen
Waldorf Chicken Salad
1320 calories
94 g fat
54 g sugar
2020 mg sodium

Chili’s
Quesadilla Explosion Salad
1340 calories
87 g fat
17 g sugar
2140 mg sodium

Applebees
Oriental Chicken Salad
1570 calories
105 g fat
44 g sugar
1730 mg sodium

Friendly’s
Crispy Chicken Salad
977 54 g fat
22 g sugar
2189 mg sodium

Hooters
Chicken Caesar Salad
770 calories
47 g fat
6 g sugar
2190 mg sodium

Chick Fil-A
Cobb Salad
850 calories
61 g fat 6 g sugar
2220 mg sodium

Perkins
Honey Mustard Chicken Crunch Salad
980 calories
63 g fat
28 g sugar
2030 mg sodium

Red lobster
Caesar Salad with Grilled Salmon
830 calories
65 g fat
3 g sugar
1540 mg sodium

Uno Pizzeria
Chopped Honeycrisp Chicken Salad
1320 calories
90 g fat
18 g sugar
2000 mg sodium

(more fat than a 20 piece order of McDonald’s chicken nuggets)

Wendy’s
Taco Salad
690 calories
34 g fat
16 g sugar
1870 mg sodium

Buffalo Wild Wings
Buffalo Wedge Salad
800 calories
66 g fat
7 g sugar
2860 mg sodium
(0)

Needs, and they are fooling people to think there healthy.

Id rather eat a burger out , something I really like
(2)

Now I know why the Applebee’s oriental chicken salad tastes good .🤪😜😝. Maybe once or twice a year I get it . It’s the only thing I like there .

I’m not surprised that the dressing would have a lot of sugar and salt .

However I do get the grilled chicken , not the fried crispy . 😄😄
(2)

Those high calorie salads are not news, but I figure at least people are getting a few veggies in their day instead of just high fat protein and highly processed carbs. Mom and I used to get McDonald's salads instead of the fries in our combos and it always annoyed me that they came sprinkled with cheese, it shouldn't be necessary to add extra fat and calories to every freaking thing on the menu!
(3)

I agree, Way. Grilled over fried is the way to go.

I think most people use an excess of high calorie salad dressing too.
(1)

How many of you read food labels at the grocery? I do. It’s the only way to know what you’re buying.
(0)

Needs, I do but probably not often enough.

As for what's for dinner, tuna fish sandwiches. 😂
(1)

I don't need to check labels because I usually buy the same things over and over, and when I don't it's because I've decided I want to splurge.
(3)

cw,

I agree that you don’t have to check the label on splurge items. 😆
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter