Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Is she currently working with a PT or OT?
When my Husband was in rehab after a broken hip repair the therapists were working with him and I was with him during most of the PT and some of the OT. When he did not do (I prefer to think he did not understand what they wanted him to do) I would present the exercise in a different way and then he would have no problem doing what was needed.
Example:
OT asked me how long has it been since he was able to raise his arms, said "he can't raise his arms" I said yes "he can, he has never had a problem. I asked she what she asked him. She said, "I said raise your arms." I went and got a cookie and a glass of juice and held it above his head. (he was in a wheelchair) and he reached up and grasped the juice with 1 hand and the cookie with the other.
PT wanted him to take colored clips from a box and put them on a piece of fabric draped in front of him. He would not do it. I took the clips and put them all over his shirt. He started taking the clips off and putting them back in the box. I told him, guided his hand to the fabric, and told him to put them there. He did then he took them off and put them in the box.
When the brain has been damaged from anything you sometimes have to adapt what is normal therapy and work with the patient/client in a different way.
If she is still in therapy ask for a PT and OT that has experience with TBI and or dementia or even someone with Autism

If you are working with her at home try other things that may motivate her. As the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat.
(5)

That's not so unusual. The TBI may be keeping her from understanding how important the exercises are. In that case, taking her someplace else to do them would likely have no effect. On the other hand, you might find a physical therapist that just "clicks" due to personality or their better understanding of her needs. You can keep trying for a while - but the less she follows instructions, the worse she'll get, and due to the TBI, she probably won't care. Reasoning with her won't do any good, either. Very sorry you have to deal with this situation, and I wish you luck.
(2)

Sometimes it takes an outsider to get us motivated even when we don't have a TBI.... can you take her out to a gym or for rehab? Or have a PT come to your home?
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter