Follow

Saw this article and thought it might help anyone dealing with LO who will not stop driving.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/dementia-drivers-license-revoked

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
In NC it was easier for me to renew my husbands license than to let it lapse and get an ID card. I dont have time for more things to do.
and no, he doesnt drive or even know he has a license.
(0)

We removed the battery from mom's car. Just told mom we couldn't get it charged up. As someone said, revoking license is not the same as preventing them from driving, and possibly injuring or killing themselves or others. You don't want that on your conscience during the last years you have with your LO.
(1)

My mom got a diagnosis and doctor said no more driving but they do not report to DMV. So, I had to have her go and trade her license in for an ID card. She was not. happy, but so be it.
(1)

My mom ended up in the ER after not taking meds as directed. After my pushing, neuro ordered psych eval at her bedside, after stable. Psych, neuro nor hospital reported the mild cognitive decline diagnosis to the state. I did a lot of legwork and the state agreed she needed to test out to return to driving.
(0)

There are forms that can be filled out from the Secretary of State, DMV that you or a doctor can complete indicating that this person can no longer drive.
The form is one thing, getting the license revoked is another and getting the person to stop driving is another.
You still need to keep the keys locked away or the vehicle removed from the property or at least disabled so they can not get it.
I kept keys locked up and there were 2 occasions my Husband got the car and left. The second time he was missing for 13 hours and was found by police in the next state.
(1)

If the Doctor reports the diagnosis to the DMV and her should. You can also do it but I think a Doctor should as a mandated reporter.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter