Do I have to pay as well

Why shouldn’t you pay your own living expenses, so far as you are able? ‘The State’ is us taxpayers, why should we pay rather than you?
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to MargaretMcKen

Jose221: Once your own funds have dwindled down to very little, you then would apply for Medicaid.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Llamalover47

When your assets are almost gone and three months before it happens, apply for Medicaid in your area. The facility will use your Social Security and any pension you receive, then Medicaid payments for the difference. A small allowance is allowed. Check with your local area on aging for rules. A social worker and elder attorney will help.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to Patathome01

One administrator who just left here replied to your how are you question as upright?

This answer above Most accurate welcome to the board and care world. It must be left over from the depression in Ohio. They get all your money but you get to keep $50 and be at the mercy of the staff of the agency that gets all your money. They usually aren't educated nor matured enough to take care of sick, old people and the nurses just push pills and sitting in the nurse's station The rest of the time. the only thing you'll get is the 3 meals. And hope? And whitewashed activities.

Things got jumbled.
And then John Travolta's staying alive.

look at The Kingston Trio and the MCA to get prepared
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to AdVinn
MargaretMcKen May 11, 2024
Perhaps you should find a better hotel.
If Medicaid is paying for you in a board and care, I would think you need to pay your share giving the Board and care your SS payment and any pension you get. Minus a small amt of money for your Personal Needs.
Helpful Answer (6)
Reply to JoAnn29

The state never pays for you to live anywhere until all of your money is gone. When your money is gone you can make application to the state. Your Social Security will then go to the facility, and the state picks up the remainder. You will have to qualify to live in facility both by NEED and by financial records going back 5 years (or 2 1/2 in California). Of course, unless you live in California. Different rules there that allow you to keep larger amounts, but with a lot of fine print in the rules.
Helpful Answer (7)
Reply to AlvaDeer

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter