Follow

Hardly anyone posts on our ‘jokes for the caregiver’ thread anymore.

I find value in comic relief and enjoy a quirky sense of humor!

Please share your favorite humorous ‘senior’ quotes. All other quotes are welcome too, something meaningful or inspirational for all of us to read.

1 2 3 4
@Alva

Us kids used to get the 'there's children starving in Africa who wish they had that food' when we'd question the cuisine, and that cuisine was questionable. My mother was not a good cook. One time my brother who was probably 10 or 11 years old told out mother that he'd send the pork chops to the poor kids in Africa but he didn't want to cause an international incident. He was a funny guy, my brother. If I had said that when I was a kid I would get slapped and sent to bed with no supper. I'm still getting a laugh from it all these years later.
(3)

My favorite saying that my grandpa said was, “Show me your friends and I will tell you what you are like.”

It went right over my head when I was little but I figured it out when I got older. There is so much truth to what he said.
(2)

Alva and Way,

My parents never did the starving speeches, but the nuns at my school did! This is why I ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday!

Oh, those metal lunch boxes were so cute, but I did break a few thermos bottles in my day! They were lined with glass and shattered horribly when dropped!
(2)

The starving can have all the brussel sprouts .

I told my father the starving can have all the Lima beans ,
I’ll eat the broccoli .
(1)

"Think of all the poor starving children in the world who would love those brussel sprouts."

"Eat a little bit of everything and everything on your plate."

Then of course there was Mary Ann and I getting caught smoking in Owl Horner's barn.
My Dad: "Owl was afraid you girls would get burned in a fire! Why would you do such a thing, kid?"
Me: "I was bored".
Dad: "Oh well. I guess it is time to learn what bored really looks like".

Right. No saddle club, no running around on horse, no visiting friends. That was one tough week!
I gotta say, my parents were always kind and fair.
(3)

@NHWM

That's an old classic, children should be seen and not heard. I have similar feeling about most elders in society. Most of the ones I know shouldn't be seen or heard.

Not saying that this applies to all, especially Mick Jagger and Liam Neeson.
(3)

ITRR,

Should read that I nearly spit out my coffee. I swear that my autocorrect is hexed! 😝
(0)

ITTR,

Geeeeez!

I nearly spit out my reading this. Oh my gosh! Your mom was something else!

Burnt,

Yep! Saying that we were bored was dangerous territory!

Way,

One of my grandpa’s sisters, always said that children should be seen and not heard.

She was never married. I don’t think she liked being around kids too much. She was engaged once but her fiancé was killed in the war.
(0)

“ Do as I say not as I do ! “

“Children should be seen and not heard .”

Some of the things they said were so wrong .

I also remember my sister complaining she was bored and my mother threatened to send her to school ( on Saturday ). SMH .
(1)

Omg, that's for sure, my mom would lecture and lecture us about lieing and why it's wrong. In the middle of the lecture the phone would ring, she would tell me to get it and if it was my dad's work tell them he isn't here.
(3)

Burnt, my mom would tell us to go play in traffic if we dared to be bored.

Then we got in trouble for crossing the 6 lane highway without the crossing guard. Adults just confuse kids sometimes. Sheesh!
(4)

@Roger and NHWM

I am so laughing at the 'give you something to cry about' my father said that all the time. We NEVER said we were bored around here. Kids back in the day knew better LOL.
(4)

Roger,

I think a lot of kids have heard that one! 😝

Or if we said that we were bored, then they said that they would give us something to do! Like clean up our room!
(4)

You want to cry --- I'll give you something to cry about.
(4)

Only horses eat hay.
(2)

"Do you think money grows on trees? I remember walking for miles in deep snow to get to school."
(2)

I love reading these! It’s fun and brings back memories of hearing them.
(1)

You can't put an old head on young shoulders.
(1)

Roger,

That one is classic! 😝
(1)

"You want a knuckle sandwich?"
(1)

"Angel hair pasta is NOT real spaghetti."
(2)

When it comes to Credit Cards my Mom said 'Use Cash'.
(1)

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(0)

Birds of a feather flock together.
(0)

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
(0)

Home is where the heart is.
(0)

It’ll all come out in the wash.
(0)

You’re a day late and a dollar short.