Follow
Read More
1 2 3 4 5
The money does not make up for your MIL's lousy treatment of you, but what a happy thing it is to be able to gift the great grands money for college.

I am also glad you are doing something special for the two of you with some of it, you guys definitely deserve it.
(0)

(Laughing, b/c it's really ridiculous) NO--Dh had no idea his mother had so much money. She complained endlessly about having to squeeze every penny to make ends meet. Well, she's leaving behind about a million dollars, which is shocking and nice at the same time. One reason she had so much money is that she never paid anybody to fix things or deal with household issues. DH didn't do that for our house, I did--and MIL got the benefit of a free handyman at her back and call.

DH finally got a call from the broker and he must have gone downtown to meet with him, b/c he suddenly jumped up and left the house. IDK where he went, but I DO hope he's working to get a majority of the investments all bundled into the checking acct.

Dh didn't WANT to be PoA, and he never acted on it. He didn't WANT to be executor, but he is, and he's doing it.

He's being kinder to me--I was super sick all weekend, like stay-in-bed-all-day sick, and while he didn't make any meals or really DO anything, he wasn't snarky about the fact I just couldn't wake up! Feeling much better today and getting more done. I kind of lost the weekend.

My therapist called this am and actually gave the info that I'd asked for (the name of the therapist) to my DH, who didn't even ask who she was or why I was getting info on a new therapist. I'm not going to push anything right now. He's pretty overwhelmed with the estate stuff.

I find he has been wanting to talk about his mother, just little comments here and there. I just listen, I sure don't have any advice. He is much happier now she's gone and he feels guilty about that.

So--even though her life was a sad, lonely & kind of miserable one--she did do one thing nice--she left a goodly chunk of money so her great grands (many of whom she'd never met) with a little jump on the college train.

And yes, I am spending some of this on me, or rather, on us.
(3)

Did DH really not know what his mother's financial situation was? As POA, that would seem to be implicitly something that you need to know in order to plan well
(2)

Midkid,
This statement from your husband may need to be scrutinized and re-evaluated.
"He asked me if this money will help me feel better--and I have to admit, that yes, it will."

No amount of money can really help you feel better about the years of abuse and neglect you have endured. The money can ease some burdens, but husband still has to step up for you. You are correct, that your husband needs counseling.

I just wonder where in his heart this question has come from. He surely cannot think you were helpful or involved for the money?
He surely cannot think he can now buy you off when all you really wanted was him to wake up and spend some time with you?

Of course, his question was just words. Watch his behavior towards you, hoping he is kinder.
(0)

You are certainly deserving of some good news that the money brings after decades of terrible treatment by MIL. At least her legacy left something positive after it is quite clear that she was beyond incapable of any love or nurturing to seemingly almost everyone throughout her lifetime.

I personally wouldn't wait to not have calls returned. I was left some money in a trust that was paying for my mother's care. It had been set up by her own mother in the 1940's. It was poorly managed in that it never grew very well but at least didn't lose value. This was not a significant amount but I was able to have it transferred within a couple of months after my mother's passing and my phone calls were always returned. That bank would have preferred to have me leave it with them but there was no way I was doing that. We have dispersed some to our children and grandchildren in small increments. Since I am an only child there was no disagreement regarding that. I wonder if you might also need advice regarding capital gains although I imagine there is no choice but to liquidate. Hope this all gets moving for you and the family.
(2)

Feel better soon, Mid! ❤️
(2)

DH is liquidating all the accounts that MIL had with one brokerage. It's just the way they wanted to do it (the brokerage). The house will either be sold to OB (who will make his decision about buying the house within the next couple of weeks. It won't even be listed, we have people calling and making offers already and we're not ready to make that decision). A couple of smaller investments will be liquidated after the biggest ones are done.

He will leave about $20K in the checking acct so he can pay for random stuff that may come up. We've both been extremely surprised at the amount of assets she had, besides her home.

YS bought her home 30 years ago and has not done a single thing to upgrade it. She has always lived so close to the bone, financially, their choice--and getting her inheritance a few weeks earlier will mean a huge difference to her. DH isn't rushing it, b/c he's kind of at the mercy at the broker, who seems to be kind of an idiot. Doesn't return phone calls or texts. DH said if the dude doesn't call him tomorrow, he's going to the investment branch and request a new liaison. I mean, the guy's going to make a nice chunk of change if he does this, but he seems pretty bad at his job. (I think I've mentioned that my DH's family can, without fail, choose the WORST possible support network. MIL's lawyer is a moron...her investment dude is impossible to talk to, they were in the process of getting a new Hospice Co when she died.

Dh has shown me some of the investments, as we try to figure out which belongs to what account. I'm shocked at the amount, really. He asked me if this money will help me feel better--and I have to admit, that yes, it will. Because we can gift away a LOT of it to our grands and that will help them ALL get to college. For me, personally? Meh. I might get to finally finish my kitchen/den area, which we didn't get done 'right' when we moved in. Or not. I just like having a big slush fund, personally.

I'm hoping DH finds a therapist--not pushing it right now, as I am sick as a dog and I just want to sleep--so I can't really say "Hey all you do is sleep" when that's all I did yesterday!

He should be able to get out and golf this week. That will help.

Spring weather in Utah is a joke! 70 degrees and sunny one day and snowing and freezing the next! And we all act so surprised when it's like this!
(6)

Mid, I know your faith informs your life and decisions as does mine. My hope for you is that you’ll come to fully accept that your husband is responsible, despite depression and health issues, for his choices and behaviors. Nothing you’re doing or not doing will change this. I encourage you to continue building a positive life filled with experiences and people who bring good things to you. Leave your husband alone as he’s continually asked. If he decides to make any change, he certainly knows where to find you, and I know you’ll welcome him. Meanwhile, live a positive life free of his mess, you’re worthy and deserving of that
(10)

Mid, I'm glad he checks in with his docs frequently.

I've probably said this before, and I've lived this in both of my marriages.

The only behavior you can change is your own. As you may remember, my DH had a very close call with death in January, It made me re-evaluate an awful lot. It made me look closely at what he was asking me for (he's someone who sees the trees, not the forest). I looked at the forest and set out on a trek that I hope will make him happy.

Wishing you only good things and peace in your soul.
(6)

As the executor he doesn't have to disperse money right away. He is still paying on the house with money from the estate so taking money and giving it to SIL may just create unnecessary work and headaches. SIL is just going to have to wait. Usually an executor does two disbursements for ALL the beneficiaries. Especially if there is a house to sell. He just wants to make sure money is there to cover house expenses, etc and not give all the cash up front. It just depends on the estate. But honestly I hope your DH makes her wait. She is responsible for all the 9 months of torture your DH and OB went through with mom. Did OB decide not to buy moms house? If he hasn't decided yet DH should give him a dead line to make up his mind.
(1)

To answer all the ??

He does not drink. Never has. He's a liver transplant patient and you do not drink alcohol if you want any shot at a healthy outcome.

He eats well. I fix good, healthy meals. He doesn't usually eat until he gets up--maybe noon, or 1. The he's back in bed until dinner. THEN after dinner, he snacks nonstop until he goes back down for the night.

He sees his PCP dr every 3 months. He sees his cardiologist twice a year. His liver doc once a year or so.

He is very good about taking his AD's. As far as I know.

He does not 'look' sick and if there's something 'fun' to do in a day, he can definitely get up and do it. If my SIL were to call him right now to go golfing, he'd be up and gone in 20 minutes.

I believe and have always believed he suffers from depression. He refuses help, won't talk to his PCP about changing out his current AD, (which IDK he even takes). He complains of aches and pains all over his body.

Yesterday I told him that he needed to start working on consolidating all the funds MIL held. He wants to wait until the house is sold to split up the proceeds. YS needs the money, like, yesterday. When I told him that--he did get up and did make one call to MIL's investment banker. Guy never returned his phone call. He probably has to go to the actual building where this guy works and do it all in person. He'll need a death certificate, so he really should do a face to face with him. MIL did keep very good records and it looks as if everything is with one bank, one brokerage.

IDK about talking to OB. He's talked to DH before and usually all that gets is me getting chewed out for talking about him.

He insists, of course, that he is "JUST FINE and LEAVE ME ALONE".

He's not and I'm not going to. Once he's fulfilled all of his responsibilities per the executorship--if he wants to sleep away the rest of his life, I can't help him.

His OB has traveled the world and loved some trip he took in Switzerland. I am refusing to even contemplate a long car ride with this depressed man. Terrified to go to a foreign country with him! We went to Yellowstone one summer and he slept almost the entire time we were there. (4 days) We were hauling a little pop up camper and I would have driven us home, but didn't feel comfortable driving with this thing behind us. It was awful.

And, no, he doesn't really listen to me at all.

Sadly, this is exactly what I thought might happen once his mom died. I'm angry, hurt and sick of this behavior.
(3)

When was the last time he saw his MD for a physical?

Is he consistently taking his anti rejection meds?
(2)

Midkid, there was always a question about how your marriage would go after MIL went to a facility and/or died. DH’s actions are not now any more reasonable than they were before, and his treatment of you is no better. By the bye, how is his alcohol consumption? That could explain a fair bit, so it’s worth thinking about.

It was OB who finally sorted out MIL. Is there any chance of you asking OB to sort out DH? He’s a sick man, in more ways than one.
(2)

He wanted to go to Switzerland?

Wait.. what? Is he hinting at assisted dying?

He has always used sleep, right? To deal with life, ignore MIL issues, now ignore executor stuff.

I agree with the others here. Is this MORE? Eg Heart? (Broken heart syndrom can happen). Diabetes? Anaemic?

Depression or not, he is not living properly if sleeping that much!

Does he look unwell? Pale, shakey, dizzy, vague.

Would he go to the Doctor if you asked him to?

Obviously call 911 if you cannot wake him.
(0)

So sorry, Mid. Is your husband eating? I agree with others, that he might be physically ill as well as depressed. I hope you can help him get to a doctor.
(1)

Mid, good for you for not enabling. Muscles will atrophy if he doesn’t use them. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Hope you are treating YOURSELF well. 🩷
(0)

Sorry to hear your husband is not doing so well right now. It is troubling that he is so tired. He really should get himself to a doctor. This might be physical, not mental.

I hope things get better for him soon.
(1)

Its not normal for a person to sleep 18- 20 hours a day. Is this depression? Just weird. Please don't bring him food or drink in bed. If he wants to eat or is thirsty he needs to get up and get it himself. I think he should resign as executor. Too bad his mom dying did nothing to improve his life. He's the same as he was before only his mother is dead - so he can't use mom as an excuse anymore. Maybe this is just who he is. Which is unfortunate for you.
(2)

Not much to report--Dh is still sleeping endlessly and when I awaken him at 4 or 5 in the afternoon, he just says "I'm so tired, leave me alone".

Which I do. Anything more intrusive than asking him if he's going to get up today and he snaps at me. He says his back hurts, his neck hurts, he isn't sleeping well, he's got neuropathy in his feet, I move around in my sleep and bother him (I moved downstairs!) --good grief, I'm amazed the man can take himself to the toilet!

I did refuse to bring him dinner in bed the other night, I mean, HONESTLY!! I know he doesn't feel great--he's had an active life that has left him with multiple 'hotspots' of arthritis--and he doesn't control his diabetes--doesn't even attempt to, so that could be part of it.

I did ask him if he were feeling depressed and he insists he's "FINE, stop asking".

I have a call in to my psych doc to get the name of a therapist (he gave it to me at my last visit and I can't find the info!) I'm not giving him any wiggle room on seeing someone for help.

In total, he sleeps about 18-20 hrs a day. Once in a while he'll get up and kind of do something--but for the most part he just stays in bed, or sleeps in the bathtub.

Oddly enough, the other day he said he wanted to take a trip to Switzerland. I said "I am not going to watch you sleep in a foreign country".

He's not doing anything with his mom's estate, and I know that his YS desperately needs some of the money from the dispersal. MIL had 2 large investments that can be cashed out now, but he chooses to do nothing, most days. YS thinks he's spending tons of time taking care of his responsibilities, but he's not. He won't even call his brother to see if he has decided to buy the house from the trust or not. One 5 minute phone call--and he won't do it. OB is leaving town for a 3 week cruise. If he's not buying the house, then in that time, the house WILL sell and one more huge thing would be done.

Well-can't say that I a surprised by this lack of motivation. It is EXACTLY how I thought he would act.

Well, at least Spring is here and my gardens are waking up. I'm going to spend the day finding all the treasures that winter leaves in my yard!
(5)

We are blessed with 14 grands--aged 19 down to 6. 2 'sets' of quads, 4 babies born within 4 months of each other-those two groups are 13 and 11 this year. 8 boys and 6 girls.

We went to dinner last night with YS and BIL. It was relaxed and relaxing. SIL is finally able to address her broken foot--she will be having a major surgery on it soon. She can barely walk, poor lady. We did talk pretty openly about MIL and all the drama surrounding that. I flat out asked SIL if she was ready to let the house go--and she responded "I feel more like we're getting rid of a burden. Tell DH that as far as I am concerned, I want it sold, sooner the better. I do NOT want to do yard work or have to worry about it sitting empty and deteriorating". That is not what Dh had told me, he said she needed to 'grieve it'. She said "I am grieving and this being sold will help tremendously."

DH has been dragging his feet this week, getting done just a few things at a time--sleeping a LOT and being a slug. SIL asked me if HE was ok, since she said she'd seen NO emotion from him. I just told her I was aware of it and was going to discuss some talk therapy with him. Interesting--if his YS says he needs help, he'll listen.

Also--as I predicted, SIL wants to do some upgrades to her own home. They've been in it 30 years and have done nothing to remodel or keep it 'fresh'. She wants to completely overhaul it--and the only way she can do that is to have the money from the estate, ASAP. Dh was going to wait until EVERYTHING was in the checking accts and write each sib one BIG check. Obv., SIL would like her share now. He can clean out the savings acct and the money market acct. and wait until the house sells to split that up. He's going to have little dribbles of money coming in for a year or so--that's just what happens.

Hearing this from YS makes all the difference in the world, and it's kind of funny, TBH.

We did talk about MIL's EOL and luckily, there seems to be no 'guilt' involved. YS said that the nurse told her that moving her to the ALF didn't make any difference, she was on her own schedule and transitioned quickly and painlessly.
I think that helped SIL.

All in all, it was an enjoyable evening, not completely destroyed by talk of how bad MIL was getting, etc. Just a fun evening which we haven't had in ages.

So--things are slowly progressing. It takes DH hours and hours to get up and get going. He sleeps so much of every day. We're on completely flip sides of a day--I'm up and done with most of what needs doing by noon and he's crawling out of bed at 2 pm and then often just moves to the tub. If I go to bed at 8 or 9 to read--he acts like I am a toddler--'what? you're going to bed already?" I just respond, "well my day started 7 hrs before yours did, so yes, I'm going to bed."

He's doing the exact thing I worried he would do when he retired. Sleep 20 hrs a day.

This is his last weekend that I am going to put up with this. Wish me luck! If he doesn't muster up the energy to get up and get moving by 10 am--and continues to sleep days away--he's going to have to see someone. AND try a different AD.

My ace in the hole is that he wants to travel and I said I wasn't going to take trips with him where he sleeps all in day in a HOTEL. (That's happened!)
(7)

What an incredible blessing you have in such loving and positive relationships with your grandchildren! And yes, it’s because you put in the time to make those bonds all of their lives. I so wish my adult children had that, they’ve lost my parents who adored them, and are left with only grandparents who have never been interested. As a result they have no interest and consider themselves without grandparents at all. Thank you for being a great example to many. I hope for grandchildren one day and will remember what you’ve wisely modeled. And you’re right, Boundaries taught me to spent time and effort with people who bring good things to life and less time with those who are only a drain. I’m glad to see you doing the same
(3)

What are the age ranges of your grandchildren Mid? I have five with one due in May. That is from 2 older daughters. My son who is my youngest was married almost 2 years ago. No children from them yet. His wife is 30.

My grandchildren range from 17 months to 10. Although we are the same age I was married at 23,not quite as young as you. I am so happy you are now in a different phase of your life.
(1)

I am the proud owner of 14 grandkids, so I am pretty up to date with their choices of techie stuff.

The girls are OBSESSED with their phones, the boys use them to order DoorDash and their texts are brief and just informative: "I'm done with soccer practice". That would be a long text for them.

My gdaughters are a hoot and have a 'group me' that is just for them--lots of running jokes and BF chatter. I'll get a late night text from one of them if they're spinning with anxiety and I get to calm them down.

Actually, I LIKE that I can simply text them a funny video or just an 'I love you'--and they can reply or not. Lots of emojis and general silliness, but I am happy I have great relationships with all 6 of the girls. The boys are wonderful and loving, but, dang it, they are growing up. Not as snuggly.

My DD's son, T-dawg, was napping on the couch the other day and I went to go meet up with his mom and him to go to his sister's play. I came early and was waiting on the couch, and he flopped over from where he was to where he was draped across me and asked me to tickle his back. He's 13. Doesn't get much better than that.

During the last year, one thing my therapist encouraged me to do was to seek for love wherever it was in my life. Well--14 people really love me, and the love of a grandkid is pretty pure. I did put in the time, however. LOTS of long hours babysitting and now, movies and pizza. I've been blessed!

__
As far as DH getting therapy--I'm letting him work out his issues on his own right now. Yesterday we went to MIL's house to get the last of the junk out of it. It's ready to go on the market. I think that the sale of the house will help DH to heal.

He has been wearing his hearing aids pretty much everyday since his mom died. He realized on his own that he was missing important conversations. He swears they don't help, but I don't have to shout at him and he isn't constantly saying 'what? what?'

Dh is the kind of guy who needs to figure things out on his own. I can make suggestions, but ultimately, he needs to be in charge. Usually he ends up doing what I suggested in the first place, but that's OK.

Honestly? Just the fact his mother is not here anymore---that incredibly depressing and negative situation is OVER. At this point, for him, cutting checks as the money is freed up is going to be cathartic for him. We are going to inherit far more than we thought. Going to gift the grands a big check for college (to be held until they graduate HS if they are younger) and then we are simply going to play with the rest. We'll tithe 10% and find worthy causes to support--but we are also going to take a couple of trips and hopefully find some joy in the journey.
(11)

Mid,

The TikTok gen ‘Z’ youth may have to find another platform. TikTok may be banned.

The young people who are doing this ‘bed rotting’ are zoning out for various reasons. They aren’t older and retired like your husband.

Have you thought about when you will discuss with your husband about going to address his depression with a therapist?

Oversleeping is extremely common in people who are depressed.

My youngest daughter is a fan of TikTok and is a huge Taylor Swift fan. She is definitely not a ‘bed rotter’ though.

The bill on the table is trying to get the Chinese owned TikTok to sell to an American company.

No telling how this TikTok thing will play out. Young people like TikTok. It’s how they are communicating with each other. The younger generation also love instagram.
(0)

I have never heard that term, but it's certainly apt!!

What about the 4-6 hr tub baths? Bath rotting?

He's happy to spend the entire day in front of the TV or in the tub. I just leave him be.

For now.

Pretty soon, he is going to HAVE to do some work on the financials. He's kind of hamstrung b/c we still don't know if OB wants to cash out the sibs and buy the house. I already have gotten calls from people who want to buy the house--so I'm hoping the kids can come up with a plan, soon.

I don't usually get my info from Tik-Tok. I mostly get fwds from my gdaughter's about Taylor Swift. :)
(2)

Just read somewhere that lying in bed all day is called "bed rotting" and that it's a recommended form of self care on Tik Tok.
(2)

I am glad things seem to be looking up. I do feel, though, that DH still needs therapy to sort out "life with Mom". I think he took things out on you because he couldn't with Mom. He needs to deal with that.

Your kids, I so hope that they see the strong woman you have become. You did what you needed to do for yourself and sanity. You did not deserve to be treated like u were by MIL. And your husband should have had ur back. You can forgive MIL because she was mentally ill and forgive DH because somehow years of control by Mom made him the way he is. But you will never forget. One of my flaws. I can be forgiving, but I remember every mean thing that was said to me and who said it. They have been forgiven, because we were kids. I just don't easily forget.

I guess at this point, you take what you can get but remember, you are worth so much more. I pray that your marriage gets better and you both can enjoy what is left of it.

I was married at 24 to a man I thought needed me, he didn't. Friends came first. Divorce at 30 and married a former boyfriend at 32. I always wonder how it would have been if I married him at 24. His Mom was passive-aggressive and lied. How would I have handled it at 24? I didn't do great at 32 but didn't take what she did to heart as I may have at 24. She treated all her DILs the same pretty much. Just I was the local one.
(0)

Mid, there’s no “if” your situation has helped others, as there’s no doubt it has. I know typing it out has been therapeutic to you, but you’ve definitely helped others to learn and grow. So grateful for all you’ve shared and that you’re now giving back on the forum
(6)

Mid,

So happy to read that some calm has returned to your life, and that DH is treating you well. I hope that will continue.

I also hope OB will buy the house so that the sale can be expedited and another thing crossed off the list.

My own DH has some reactions about his mom's death that lasted quite a while - over a year, in fact. As I mentioned before, the "saintly" stuff started soon after she died. It was infuriating listening to those comments from him (and his sibs) and I was astounded at the denial they were in.

I hope once the estate is settled that you and DH will get to go on a nice long trip. You both really need something fun.

Hugs and love to you.
(1)

I'm so glad to read your heartening updates. It seems as though your DH is really stepping up now that the burden of his living mother has been lifted. You'd mentioned that he'd had to retire early because of her situation, and I'm sure he resented that. Even under better circumstances, for many folks their identity is tied in with their jobs so retiring can actually be stressful and depressing until they get a new equilibrium. Your husband now has some high priority, time-sensitive, concrete things that need doing regarding his mom's estate. It sounds as though he's more than capable of doing what's needed, he's accomplishing things, and it may be giving him a sense of purpose and satisfaction. So that, on top of the relief at his mother's death, is making him happier, more appreciative of you, and easier to be around. I know you were worried he'd be depressed and have a hard time coping with his mom's death, but it sounds quite the opposite lately from what you have written here. Not that he isn't perhaps sad, but he seems to be functioning quite well under the circumstances. But I think a lot of us get so busy with required tasks and details after a loved one dies that mourning and grief can be muted initially and only hit later.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter