Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
So good to hear from you, Anche.

I am so sorry that you have been struggling. Caregiving is very stressful! Happy 18th birthday to your son! They grow up so fast!

I wish you much success in finding a suitable place for your mother. I am happy to see that you realize that you can’t do everything! I wish that I would have discovered that sooner in my caregiving journey. It would have been better for my mother and myself. Caregiving is such an emotional experience.

It’s so very hard. While I am glad that mom is at peace now, and I know that she is with my father in heaven. I find myself missing her terribly. My mom had a beautiful smile. Even during the final month of her life, her smile lit up the room.

I am convinced that her faith is what kept her spirit up. She loved Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and all of the angels and saints. Her favorite saint was St. Jude.
(1)

Here I am after a long time. I have been very busy at home and at work... But I was doing really well Until yesterday.
Since Friday I have a terrible toothache, I am taking antibiotics... On Monday morning, mum called me at 6.30am to go to the toilet... I hadn't slept because of the pain.
Yesterday afternoon she was calling every 30 minutes. It was my son's 18th birthday, we invited my mil for dinner... That was not a great party.
I will really try to move mum in a facility. It is too much for me now. I am not taking care of myself. I forgot to check my thiroid, I forgot to go to the optometrist... Etc.
And if I am feeling but I still have to take care of mum.
So I have been crying the whole afternoon yesterday.
I am glad I am going to the psychologist tomorrow.

Édit: I added that I was fine until yesterday. I also forgot to say I am on holidays... Well I am not working but am not going away. I hope I will be able to go to the mountains for a couple of days. The home aid will sleep here
(2)

Thank you to all of you my friends!
I am trying with blueberry juice and apple juice which she used to like. Now she just doesn't feel thirsty and she doesn't drink just to enjoy something she likes...
I should give her soup which she likes.
It is so hard seeing her shrinking...
She is a strong, stubborn little lady... She had to be strong, she had a hard life but she never complains, says somebody is suffering more than she does, especially young people or children.
She is extremely intelligent even if she couldn't go to school...
We sometimes argues... But I love her so much and I admire her!
(2)

Anche,

The same thing happened to my mom several years back. She had been taking a blood pressure medication. The ER doc took her off of it, because her pressure was too low. She also mentioned to us that patients with Parkinson’s disease tend to run lower blood pressure.

Mom felt awful when her pressure was low. Too high or too low is bad.

If she doesn’t drink a lot, try fruit, jello, yogurt, lots of ice in juice. If she sips slowly, the ice is melting and she’s consuming more water. Personally, I eat soup year round. Some people only like it in the winter. My mom went to the bathroom so much that she didn’t want to drink a lot but they get dehydrated. I made smoothies for her with fruit, yogurt and ice. I did look at sugar grams on the yogurt because I only buy the ones with low sugar.

So glad that your mom was able to go back home and is doing better.
(0)

Anche, thanks for sharing the good news!   

As to drinking, what about melted ice cream?  It's not a drink, but it sure is tasty!   Does she like fruit juices?   Milk shakes?   We also used to get Dairy Queens (I don't now if they're in Italy, but perhaps gelato?)

They would tend to make her chillier, though.   Applesauce isn't liquid, but it's more liquid than solid, so that might be a change of pace for her.

I'm soooo glad she was able to get quick treatment and a diagnosis!
(3)

I could take mom home yesterday evening. The cardiologist said to stop taking the pill for high blood pressure since it is now low. And she has to drink more... But that's not easy to make her drink. When I give her something to drink she says she has already drunk a lot!
We have around 35 Celsius degrees here, 26 inside her house and she is cold!
(2)

Mum is still at the ER, they told me to go home. I could see her and speak with the doctor. They are waiting for a cardiology visit.
She already fainted several times and even had an atrioventricular block. She has a pacemaker since 31/1/2019..
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers
(3)

Sending prayers for you and your mom, Anche.
(2)

(((Hugs))), Anche. I hope it's nothing serious.
(3)

Anche, I'm hoping the faint was just perhaps from the heat, as I'm assuming that Italy is also getting hit by the heat waves.   Still, it's a frightening thing when someone passes out.   Has this happened before?    What was she doing before she fainted?   Did she get up quickly from a seated position?  

And not being able to stay with her b/c of the pandemic complicates the issue.    I'm assuming the doctors or NPs or PAs will come out periodically and keep you informed of their DX and any other relevant factors?  

This has certainly been a rough year for you, hasn't it?  

I do hope this situation can be diagnosed quickly, and that both of you can return to the comfort of your home.
(2)

Oh, Anche!! I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Please keep in touch.
(3)

I am outside the ER right now. Mum fainted... I am waiting for news as I can't stay with her because of this f covid.
(2)

Anche,

Enjoy your shopping trip!
(1)

Anche, thanks for sharing the uplifting and very good news, and congratulations to you for moving forward on your caregiving journey!
(1)

I am here again! First week without our home aid is over and I am fine!
I went yesterday to see my therapist and she proposed to mee t again on 3 weeks instead of 2 as we usually do since she sees I am doing much better!
No freezing and no self pity party in 4 weeks now! I think I deserve a present... Going to buy something nice😁
(3)

So glad that you are feeling better, Anche. It’s not easy to be a caregiver. It’s important to make time for yourself. I’m glad that you are enjoying your Sundays.
(1)

Good evening everyone! Just a few words to apologise for not having read and answered much. I have had a busy week... Actually 2 weeks.
But I am keen to let you know that I am doing much better! No more self pity parties! I got organized and doing fine even on Sundays.
Thank to all of you! You do not know how much this forum is helping me.
(4)

The physiatric and physiotherapist came yesterday. They have established a rehab plan to make mom walk again. We will start on Tuesday.
I had very big problems at work with my notorious supplier... This time it was her boss who introduced himself as director when writing to some journalists...
But I am facing it without any panic, I am feeling much better. Hope it will last.
(3)

Hope you start to feel better, Anche. Hugs!

Happy Easter to you and your family.
(0)

Not a good day today... Nothing serious just bad timing... But I nearly had another freezing episode and started crying. I do not know how to help myself. I am seeing a therapist, started yoga, trying to dedicate myself to my hobbies... But mental load and the thought I will never have myufe back just don't go away.
Sorry... Just venting...
(2)

Anche,

I am so sorry that your mom is going this difficult time. I know that it is very hard for you to see her struggling.

Please let us know how she is doing. I hope that her doctor will have positive suggestions to pass along to you and your mom.

Happy Easter to you and your family.
(0)

Hi everyone!
I have tried to take mum out of bed, but she doesn't stand on her feet. She has lost all her muscular tone. A Physiatrist will come on Thursday 8TH to organize rehab.
As far as I concerned: I started yoga on Wednesday and liked it! But I am going to ups and downs... More of a down today. I am tired and scared. I feel like I have forgotten my own name. On top, I had bad news from a friend I are worrying a lot...
I wish you all Buona Pasqua! Happy Easter!
(2)

That's great news!
(1)

Good news! Mum can try to stand up and walk again! I will now organize some rehab with the help of our family doctor.
I hope she will be able to at least walk in her house and a few steps in her garden! Especially I hope she will be able to go to the toilet... She was getting depressed having to wear diapers
(2)

Anche,

Will pray for your mom that there will be a positive outcome.
(1)

The ambulance will come tomorrow morning to take my mom to the hospital to have x-rays. I hope the bone is ok now and that she will be able to walk again after some rehab.
I will let you know.
I took a day off today... Didn't do anything but it was good not to work!
(1)

Anche,

I am so glad that you are pleased with your mom’s aide.

I’ve never experienced vertigo. I have heard that it’s miserable.

Please get some rest as soon as you can.

I hope things improve at your work soon and there will be harmony in your workplace.

Take care.
(1)

I am happy with our home aid and my mum too. But... I am now facing another problem at work caused but that silly consultant. I am really sor so tired... I had a kind of panic attack so I called my doctor and ask to see her tomorrow. I explained what is happening, not only do I feel anxious but I am suffering from vertigo again. I have problems with my ears but I think it is different now. I hope she will give me a certificate saying I have to rest for a couple of days... Otherwise I will take some days off... I really need to rest. I cannot avoid what is happening to my mum but I think I can stop working for a couple of days.
This time she called one of the journalists we work with (I work for a magazine) introducing herself as director of the magazine and asking the journalist to change the subject of her article. In the past she fired one of the journalists which she cannot do and so she was asked by the magazine director not to contact any of them... But she still does it. And she doesn't realises that the journalists will inform me as they do not know who she is and I have been working there for 19 years.
(0)

Anche,

That’s fantastic! Things are looking up. So happy for you and your mom.
(0)

Bravo 👏👏👏
That is a win win - for you both! Also to have this new help & adapt to this change.
(1)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter