Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Dysfunctional family members are soooo hard to deal with.

My husband and I care for MIL.
Before we arrived on the scene, there were 9 familial junkies and their friends.

They lived off her, stole from her, tried growing Marijuana plants in the freezer and in the garage, human feces in buckets in the garage, grass 4 ft plus high on her little 3 acre property, 11 dogs, the nightmare goes on.

Hubby stepped in... he turned off power to their camper and old trailers, cut off the phone and cable services. Assisted the police to arrest a few and made it clear anyone
caught doing drugs on the property would be removed.

Mom's back accounts were changed and suddenly there was no money to support their addictions.

They all left and abandoned all their garbage on the property.

His SIS didn't want to stay on the property because Social Services started checking on her small hyperactive grandchildren - (she expected MIL to care for them while she worked - SIS had custody of them at the time) She did not want to deal with SS. -- So she moved out, too.

Fast forward...It has taken 2 years to clean up the land enough to put a new MH on it.

Another year has passed.. we are now paying additional monies to remove the garbage left behind in the old single wides and having these trailers removed also.

Now, these people were very clear they didn't want anything and we should just throw it away... "we should"... "we"...needed to clean their mess.

So far we have emptied a hallway and a part of 1 bedroom...which filled 3 dumpsters...and now THEY are complaining to everyone who will listen how they have been victimized, run off, their dogs given away, and their stuff being trashed after they all TOOK CARE of MOM after their father and grandfather passed away.

Typical behavior for these types of people..yes..but it is still annoying.

Thank you for a safe place to vent.
(8)

Oy vey. Dysfunction is my family's surname! :-D
(1)

I share this from my experience with a new therapist hoping it might be helpful to someone.

Instead of letting me be stuck as before in the stories of my trauma experiences, he is seeking to lead me to be in touch with my inner emotions more in my sessions, rather than focusing on recounting the events of the trauma.

My last therapist never tried to lead me in this direction.

I'm learning that focusing on the events and actions in my trauma experiences, acts as an automatic defensive avoidance mechanism (albeit unconscious), so I don’t need to do the messier, more painful, more difficult work of digging around in my messy emotions and connecting with my feelings. Thus, I could stay detached and relatively safe from them. So whilst my trauma story of what has happened to me is absolutely important, getting stuck on that external aspect of my story can mean I don’t get to where I need to go in my healing. This is hard work, but needed to get healing and freedom.
(7)

Notrydoyoda, I relate to this. I have a friend who keeps telling me not to focus on the story of trauma. She is telllng md to only acknowledge my feelings, the lack of validation. Write it down but not the story. I relate to this because while in counseling, the more I talked about the story, the more it became the focus and there was no resolution to the trauma. I am practicing this now. I hope it works for you.

I just got back from California, my brother is not doing well. After having surgery for his broken hip, he is back in a delirium state. He has been on a feed tube and he aspirated the supplement and now has pneumonia and is on oxygen. His kidneys are not filtering out sodium from his blood and he has mid blood in his urine than urine. They are bringing in specials for his lungs, kidneys and a urologist. The concern is kidney failure. I must admit I am scared about his condition. I may have to go back if his condition gets worse.
(8)

Here is a list of books that a fellow traveller shared with me.

John Bradshaw On The Family, same author: Healing the Shame That Binds You.

Bessell van Der Kolk's The Body Keeps The Score.

Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving by Pete Walker.ComplexPTSD is what most trauma survivors are dealing with.

Daniel Goleman's Emotional Intelligence.

There's also one titled "It Didn't Start With You" which is about inherited family trauma.
(3)

Louise - ((((hugs)))) sounds like an awful mess.. Come back and vent any time.

Tekvah - mine too!

yoda and sharyn - what yu both are describing sound to me like a very good way to go. Deal with your present emotions I am glad you both are on this path.

sharyn - how is your bro doing? It must be very scary.

yoda - those books look good. I read Bradshaw years ago..
(4)

Golden, my brother is home with hospice and home health care. He is off oxygen with some issues remains with the kidneys. Not as much blood in his urine. Being at home, he will come out of the delirium. I think he will come out of this but will need rehab for the broken hip.

Hubs went to Colorado to to take some furniture to our son. He got in an accident coming home. The accident occurred about 200 miles east of us. My daughter and I drove there to pick him up as the breaks are not working on the Jeep. A big rig past him on the freeway, it was raining. The wind draft off the big rig pushed him off the freeway into a shallow gully/ditch off the shoulder of the freeway. He is fine but very sore.
(3)

Hey Yoda, your post sent me down a little investigation rabbit hole. Great books!

I have The Body Keeps Score currently on my laptop, thanks to a recommendation from a friend. She has experienced this extraordinary personal growth in the past couple of years. It was triggered by a terrible assault experience where a friend betrayed her. Her personality and habits have completely changed in the past few years, and she told me that The Body Keeps Score changed her understanding of who she is and why she's behaved a certain way in the past. It's cool to see her on this path to self-discovery and healing.

I read Emotional Intelligence years ago and it'd be great to revisit it. I browsed through a lengthy description of Healing the Shame that Binds You and was impressed by what I read. Reading the summary of It Didn't Start With You inspired me to sign up (again) for a free Audible trial. lol

Great stuff. Thank you.

I have a question, Yoda, Sharyn: Do either of you know any term for this concept of -- not being stuck in repeating trauma stories but instead focusing on emotions and validating your feelings? I'm trying to think of what clinical therapy practice this would be part of. Sounds great. Happy for both of you and proud of the self-work you continue to do. I know for myself that I tend to replay hurtful times from the past on repeat in my head. It's a pervasive mental habit for me, and it's never led anywhere good. Conscious redirection has helped me, but I think knowing how to acknowledge and validate the feelings would be better than just refocusing my attention.

Sharyn, I'm so sorry about your bro. I'm sure it's hard to see him like this—prayers for his recovery.

Hello to others, welcome to any new posters. 💜
(2)

Ali, what I am doing is writing down my feeling of not being validated with writing the whole story. I write out how I feel. This way I’m not focusing on the entire story. Detach from the story and focus on how it made you feel and not being validated. It’s working so far. I get my anger out about it too. I don’t have a term to use other than journaling.
(3)

Louise4, I can relate to some of what you're speaking to. Having users in the family (both of drugs and people) become involved in caregiving for elderly family never seems to go well for the elderly.

You're good to clean up their mess. Kudos. I know it's a lot of work and resources. I also cleaned up a thoroughly hoarded and borderline unlivable house.

Those experiences led me to find AC and start venting/sharing here. It's been invaluable for me. Please come back to the DYS thread anytime to get support as you go through this.

*Edited to remove several paragraphs of some of the crazy things my user cousins did. I'm not dwelling on the trauma stories anymore; I'm learning from Yoda and Sharyn. 😁 It was and sometimes is still so frustrating, infuriating, and heartbreaking for me to think about what happened in my caregiving experience because of my dysfunctional family.

*Gershun, so much of what I struggle with emotionally around my family is resentment, too. I totally get that. It comes up in my mind out of nowhere, and I will think about how unfair situations have been, how hateful some have been, and how hurtful *all* of it's been. It's tough being torn between wanting to reach out to family and also needing to keep the distance. I get that. (((((hugs)))))
(3)

Ali, I replay hurtful moments in my mind too. I'm always mindful of what the Bible says about this but still find I struggle.

Sometimes I'll go to sleep feeling fine but wake up angry at my siblings. You see I was always the scapegoat in my family and still hold a lot of resentment inside. We don't ever see each other and seldom speak. I sometimes think about getting in touch but stop myself cause to them I'll always be the one they feel its alright to belittle or talk down to. Why put myself through that.

I'd like to one day be able to think of them without that resentment inside but am not quite sure how to do this and still have my guard up, and it needs to be up in order for me to protect myself.
(4)

SharynMarie,
You need a break from all the things happening to you and your family!

Hope your husband gets the care he needs, and is now home safely with you.

And your brother.....
(4)

Gershun,
Yes!
I could be just minding my own business, sleeping okay, but during awake hours the sibling issues pop into my mind. I suspect there may be some dreams (or nightmares) that I am not recalling when awake.

If I rehearse the thought, thinking out what happened, I get into an immediate rut.

It takes work to let it go, some things happened years ago, but it comes just before I make a stupid idea that it will be okay to contact them. It is not okay, and may never be okay for my health.
(4)

Send, seems we are in good company then. You, me, Ali and so many others.

I like you feel like it's better for my health to not contact sibs and therefore that is how I'll continue to behave until someone can show me a way I can where I don't get hurt. As for my siblings I honestly don't think they really care one way or other whether I get in touch so there you have it.
(6)

AliBoBali

I'm happy that what I shared is helpful.

I don't know the term for "this concept of -- not being stuck in repeating trauma stories but instead focusing on emotions and validating your feelings."

It would be part of the trauma-related clinical therapy practice.

I am starting on this journey with my therapist. The previous one where I used to live only let me stay stuck in telling my trauma stories which developed into movies with related pics with captions and then a poem. Those were particularly difficult times for along with what I had memories of past trauma came burried memories from an early part of my life that I hardly had any memory of at all before. In therapy and discussing with others, I've learned that this is not an usual experience but our mind's way of protecting us until later on.

If possible, I strongly suggest you find a therapist trained in trauma recovery.

You are correct that refocussing your thoughts is not enough. Read the books, find a trained therapist and best to you in this journey. It's not easy, but several tell me that is is greatly worth the process.

Our bodies do keep score. Our bodies are so awesomely made that if we would listen to our bodies, we would be safer soon than waiting for our minds to figure things out. Trauma does impact our body, mainly our brain. My own gets triggered sometimes when I'm not aware and thus my body will freeze into a do not touch me anywhere right now mode. This has only happened more recently and I've had to explain it to my wife. I first became aware of this when I led a retreat where our focus was on spiritual renewal, but so many needed to share their trauma stories with us and we listened and sought to adjust our presentations to them. When, I got home, I have no idea how many baths and showers that I took while detoxing, but I had to ask for no hugging or touching for a few days. I never helped with one of those retreats again.
(3)

sharyn ((((((hugs))))) Too much happening all at once. Glad your hub wasn't hurt in the accident. Those big rigs passing are scary. I hope with you that your bro will come out of this. He has had a very rough time. Keep us updated.

I am totally at peace about having cut contact with my sis. No more tension waiting for the next insult. It's great!

Sleeping at dd's now in a bedroom upstairs - minifridge and all, and spending time during the day at my house. Rocky seems ok staying at the house as long as I keep up her routine. I am sleeping like a log at dd's. Not sure why but it's good. I'm getting a bit more stuff sorted during the day when I am home. More photos trashed today! There is still a little snow on the front lawn - first time in over 40 years! Now we need some rain and warmth to bring the leaves out. None out so far - another first.

Regarding dealing with trauma, I have done and still do spend a lot of time processing feelings, events, thoughts...I think I would be way worse off if I didn't. It's no good letting negative energy build up in you and create physical tension and even illness. It's a work in progress.

Take care all!
(4)

Golden, I'm glad you are more comfortable now and having good sleeps. What's that like? Having a good sleep I mean. I haven't had one of those in ages. Describe it to me. Maybe I can live vicariously through you. :)

Yes, Sharyn I forgot to say that I'm thinking of you and feeling for you. Prayers are being sent your way.
(5)

Two nights a week in a hotel since the airbnb fiasco, disgusting, fiasco! It isn't easy, I don't know how people travel all the time for their jobs. But, at least with my situation, I am home five nights a week. That is comforting and relaxing and a relief.
(3)

Geez, that ended up on the wrong page!
(3)

Thank you all regarding my brother. He sure has had a rough time since the double lung transplant.

I called the towing company today. This company is also a body works company. They took our Jeep out three different times today with 3 different drivers. They can find nothing wrong with the brakes or suspension. They believe that my husband hydroplaned off the freeway when this wind draft pushed the Jeep off the freeway. We will drive back there tomorrow to get it. Our insurance company wants the bill itemized so they can help us with the towing fee.
(4)

Send, my brother does need a break. It seems he has on going issues not related to his lungs. Every time he goes into a hospital setting, his brain reverts to this delirium issue. The psychologist at Stsndford says it’s a protective measure his brain does to prevent him from feeling pain. They cannot give him any pains meds because he is now very sensitive to them. With the lung transplant he was given fentanyl which caused all his issues with not waking up after recovery.
(4)

Today my brother turned 71. He also lost his battle due to respiratory failure. May 4, 1951-May4, 2022.
(8)

SharynMarie - I am sorry for the loss of your brother. He left this world on the same date he came into it. Amazing! That doesn't happen often.
(3)

So very sorry for the loss of your brother SharynMarie.
💔🌹💔
He truly fought hard with a double lung transplant.
(3)

Sharyn, so, so sorry. There are no words. (((HUGS)))
(4)

Ahhh, Sharyn, I am so sorry for your loss.
(3)

Oh, Sharon! I'm so sorry.
(3)

Sharyn, I am so sorry for your loss.

May The Lord give you grieving mercies, peace and comfort during this difficult time.
(6)

((((((sharyn)))))) My deepest condolences. Your brother fought so many health battles. May he rest in peace now. Praying for comfort for you and all his family. 💜💜💜
(5)

dear sharyn, my deepest condolences to you. hug!!!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter