Follow

This news article was in our local NJ paper and I thought it would be of interest and a WARNING to what can happen to someone.

'She says she was coerced into signing away her rights in a nursing home. When she got out, everything she owned was gone.'

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/08/she-says-she-spent-months-in-a-fog-in-a-nursing-home-when-she-left-everything-she-owned-was-gone.html

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thank you for that research. I will read up too. It appears these crimes on the elderly can happen to anyone in any state.
(0)

I did some research and having a Revocable Trust helps avoid such issues. Such Trusts for a person to make sure their elder years go as plan.

If I became unable to function then my sig-other has already been assigned to my Revocable Trust, and vise-versa. And if one of us or both of us are unable to function, then our Elder Law Attorney will take over, thus being paid from any assets in the Trust when needed. I had picked a large law firm because if my Elder Law Attorney is no longer there, then someone else at the firm, who is an Elder Law Attorney, will step in.
(1)

Here is what Congress is currently doing https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/590448-protecting-seniors-from-guardianship-fraud-and-abuse/
(0)

Yes - I actually remembered reading the 2nd article link I posted which reminded me of the recent crime against the NJ person. So I searched for that article and found it about stolen Guardianship. I found it terrifying in that a family member with POA could be helpless to assist their LO. I am concerned to learn how we as older adults can protect ourselves from criminals who use this legal process. I hope more people read these links as there are many of us approaching old age.
(1)

I could only read part of the second cite; I was becoming too angry to read. And thoughts of FRAUD kept running through my mind, which is what I believe the so-called guardian did.

This to me sounds like a well planned scam, and something to be investigated thoroughly.

I'll try to read the rest of the article, but I get so mad when I read of dishonest people manipulating and exploiting elders, or anyone, for that matter.
(1)

LongShot56, thank you for the second link, wow that was unbelievable that Guardianship could just be handed over to the State without any reason. Even when the elders have Power of Attorney already in place, and a grown child who lives nearby.

Can't imagine being in a retirement community which one loves, and get a knock on their door that they have to vacate within minutes and go with a stranger who is now their Guardian. And that Guardian takes over control of their house, their car, their bank accounts, etc.
(0)

As you mentioned there are massive Medicaid fraud occurring from these guardian and POA scams. Here is another article as I've read huge problems in states with large retiree populations like AZ, FL and others.

'How the Elderly Lose Their Rights
Guardians can sell the assets and control the lives of senior citizens without their consent—and reap a profit from it.'

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights
(0)

LongShot56, thank you for the link. It makes me wonder how any of us could prevent such a "theft" whenever we are brought to the hospital, then transferred to long-term-care if we don't have someone right along side us at every step who had legit Power of Attorney for health and financials.

Wonder how many of these types of "thefts" have happened. Thefts not only to the person, but also to Medicaid. I just checked to see how much fraud is happening to Medicaid and in 2019 the amount was $57 billion.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter