Follow
Read More
1 2 3 4 5
Tthat's funny Gershun! My Mom and Dad, and a couple of her siblings were cast (as background people) in the 1963 Elvis Presley movie "It happened at the World's Fair" at the Seattle Center, and now every time it comes on the telly, I have to search them out, pause/rewind a hundred times, hey "there's Mom and Dad!", LOL! How that came about I'll never know, but I still Love that film!
(6)

Stacey, that's great!

One thing my whole movie experience taught me is the making of a movie is a long, arduous process and not nearly as glamorous as you would hope. A lot of sitting around waiting.

I was there from 8 in the am. till 8 in the pm. I got reamed out by the wardrobe person for hanging my costume on a hook when we broke for lunch. Someone knocked it off and she found it laying on the floor."You will never work in this business again" she screamed. Since that was never my goal I wasn't too upset. It all worked out in the end. :)
(2)

Maybe they'll do a remake of The Changeling one day and I could apply again. A lot longer in the tooth but I wouldn't hang my outfit on a hook next time.
(4)

I like David Baldacci books. If you like mysteries/thrillers try Harlan Coben or Gregg Horowitz. I also like Cozy Mysteries ( one author, Shirley Rousseau Murphy has a delightful series with talking cats.) I download ebooks from my public library and carry my iPad mini with me . I have learned to always carry a charger and an extension cord.
(0)

The best series of books i’ve ever read were the “Mossy Creek” series about a small town in the South. It’s written by a group of female authors. Very non-taxing, enjoyable reading. I wanted the series to go on forever! And, I wanted to live in that town!
(2)

I've read a few Harlan Coben books. I love mystery thriller books too.
(2)

Currently reading book 3 of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series "Morality for Beautiful Girls", by Alexander McCall Smith, having polished off books 1 and 2 in the past couple of days. They are charming and very light reading which is what I need right now. And I am learning a little about Botswana.
(3)

Golden, when I was a kid I always wanted to go to all the places that started with B. Botswana was one of them. My bucket list I guess you could say. So far the barber shop is as close as I've come to that. Oh yes, and Bellingham, Washington.
(1)

I read the first book in that series Golden - I've always liked books that teach you something as well as having a good plot and engaging characters,
(1)

I've decided to take out my dusty paperback books that I haven't touched in over 10 years. The 1st author I pulled out to read - the pages are quite yellowish and a bit smelly as unused books tend to smell. I'm now into a 2nd author, Ann Aguirre. Reading book 2 of 5: Hell Fire. My usual genre preference is pure fantasy. I was actually torn between reading these old paperback books vs. book 4 of a sci-fi by F.E. Arliss.
(3)

gershun - why not try the No 1 Ladies... Series? I am transported to Botswana daily. 😊

cw - yes, me too, and I remember Seretse Khama in the news.

book - good to see you back posting. I totally understand the need to read fantasy. Dusty fooks = allergy flare-ups for me. I am a Kindle reader all the way.

Onto book 5 now "The Full Cupboard of Life" and shamelessly intend to while away most of the day reading it. It is my great escape.
(3)

ahhh - that's dusty books - books!!!! I am making typos these days.
(1)

I don't know Golden, dusty fooks sounds interesting too. LOL

I hear you about allergies. I wake up with my eyes stuck together most days. Not a pretty sight. Mind you I stopped looking pretty in the morning quite a while ago, if ever.

I'll look into that book series you mentioned.
(2)

“The Man in the Ice” (Konrad Spindler) about the finding of the Neolithic man in 1991 in the Austrian/Italian alps.
Fascinating reading. The man is 4000 years old.
(2)

I have read all the Number 1 Detective Agency books, except the most recent. If you really want a treat, listen to them all on tape. They come alive in a new way! You have to hear the talented reader use the Botswana accents. It’s a delight to the ears. My library had them all on CD’s, but I notice now that they have the digital copies. Wait till you hear their names pronounced!
(4)

gershun - lol. I'm on antihistamines regular. Without them I get a sore throat,

shane - sounds very interesting. It isn't on kindle unfortunately

tree artist - Can you tell me more about that version? Who are the main readers? It would be good to hear the names pronounced properly.

Saw a series The Joe Grey (FELINE P. I.) Series
by Shirley Rousseau Murphy - for cat and mystery lovers. Has anyone read it?
(1)

I haven't read that one yet Golden. But I am establishing a list here with all the great suggestions.

Golden, something very interesting has happened. I am weaning myself off of my antidepressant and have discovered that it was what was causing my post nasal drip. It's much, much better. Who knew? Sorry, I know this isn't book related but since we were talking allergies. :)
(3)

I just finished a very thought provoking book "Maybe You Should Talk to Someone" by Lori Gottlieb. Good perspective on therapy and why it works.
(4)

I enjoyed the Joe Grey series very much, although some of the last books got a little woo woo. I think I recommended them on the other book thread.
(0)

I'm glad I saw this topic! I love to read - my reading subject matter or category if you will, changes with what is going on in my life. I am now reading very light fiction due to mom stresses. But I am reading a SF book - The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and it has been fun. I used to read Sci/Fan all the time. I did love the Dragonrider series by Anne McCaffery. I have gotten tired of the chick lit stuff - so unrealistic! and that explains my turn to light fiction
(2)

Rita, I don't like chicklit stuff either.
(1)

Haven't had much time to read but I've been able to listen to some books on CD in my car.
I have to recommend EDUCATED by Tara Westover. It's Tara's real life story (memoir/ autobiography). She was raised by survivalist fundamentalist Mormons in Idaho. With no formal schooling, she transforms herself into an intellectual. Her growing up was harrowing.
I just read some reviews that use the words gripping, riveting, and warped to describe her family life prior to leaving for college.
(3)

Rabanette I bought that book for my S I L's 50th birthday present. She is a teacher's assistant so I thought she'd like it.
(0)

I read what I have to read for the classes I teach. I have no idea why I got into this habit, but for several years in the summer I read the same two books Coming Home and The Shell Seekers both by Rosamunde Pilcher. I wonder if I’ll read them this summer.

My brother Jay is an avid reader. He always has 3 or 4 books in the works. He’s a David Baldacci, John Sandford and James Patterson fan. I like all of these as well. He reads a lot of nonfiction as well; mostly history and political things.
(1)

I enjoy swimming for exercise and invested in an waterproof Ipod Shuffle that attaches to my goggles. I can download library books for free and listen while I swim.

My recent favorite is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Love that book.

I am listening to Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult now. It's a heavy read but worth it (so far).

For those of us who need some stress relief, swimming is a great option. I can't hear my phone ring while my head is underwater...and everyone survives for 45 min without me!
(1)

Keeping this lighthearted thread going, I am reading the USGS stats.
(2)

Fluffy fiction that I won't remember 2 days after I'm done.
(5)

Just finished reading Hillbilly Elegy. Depressing book. Rereading The Girl on the Train.
(3)

I just recently finished a book, The Battle of Bataan. The book is about nurses that were captured in World War II by the Japanese. Excellent book.
(1)

I went searching and couldn't find your book earlybird - might that book be We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese by Elizabeth M. Norman??
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter