Follow
Read More
1 2 3 4 5
I love reading but love True Crime podcasts as well. For reading right now it is Mark Haddon's latest (if you haven't read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, or Spot of Bother, give him a try). The book is called The Porpoise and is a fantastical reworking of the Pericles legend. I will say it is odd but holding me. Waiting in the wings is Kate Mulgrew's memoir How to Forget, which is about the death of her mother. I carry home from the library as many books as my aged arms can hold, and am a voracious reader. Leaving my own world to sink deep into the world of another is one of the greatest joys of my life. Thanks so much for this question. I will try your crime/thriller, as they are a favorite genre for me.
(4)

Several regarding ones sub-conscious mind, very powerful and unused part of our brain.
(1)

The last of the Isabel Dalhousie, The Sunday Philosophy Club Series by Andrew McCall Smith. Having spent several years in Scotland, I am particularly enjoying them as I am familiar with the setting.

AlvaDeer - I liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and will have a look at Spot of Bother.

I have plans to read all of McCall Smith's books including another one in The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency  series which is yet to come out. They are light enough for me right now,
(2)

Still working on The Sound of Glass. I tend to get very sleepy when I read, so it takes awhile.

The book talks about Frances Glessner Lee and her Nutshell Studies. Never heard of it before, but googled it, found Smithsonian Art Museum article on her.

https://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/nutshells
(3)

I remember the last time there was a book thread on AC, was that before the format change? Anyway, not important...I did get some great book ideas from it before, so glad to stumble into this again. I just finished We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter, really loved it. Now reading The Book of Essie by Meghan Weir, no opinion either way yet.
(2)

I’m on the last of David Baldacci’s Camel Club series in audiobooks. Just figured out that Alexa will read Kindle ebooks to me, even library ebooks. Knit and listen to audiobooks is my recharge method
(6)

Right now I am reading Trust Me by Hank Phillippi Ryan

If I couldn't read I'd go insane.
(4)

I'm re-reading fun stuff from one of my favorite authors - David Weber. Going through the entire Honor Harrington series (and it's companion books/collections) - also known as Horatio Hornblower in space. David's early books are only 400-500 pages but they keep getting larger over the years so the last one was 981 pages.

I took the offer of 3 months free Kindle Unlimited during prime days, so I guess I will find something new there when I'm finished with the Honorverse.

If you like ereaders, check out your local library. I started using the eReads program to "check out" Kindle books (default loan is 2 weeks and you can renew most books). I got started with Kindle when I was getting on a plane every week for work and kept going because the Kindle is lighter than a hardcover and I can set the print to be as large as I need to read without my glasses!
(1)

I love cozy mysteries, and does Mom, We are reading Paige Sheltons series about a gal from Kansas who moves to Scotland ( we know it well) and goes to work for a bookshop. Lots of places we recognize and good stories! I read a lot.. even in the bathroom.. LOL
(2)

"Sinatra The Chairman" Jame Kaplan
(This is the 2nd of a 2 volume biography. The 1st is "Frank The Voice")

"The Art of Dying" Peter and Elizabeth Fenwick

"The Rational Bible: Genesis" Dennis Prager
(0)

NewandTrying......I bet that Sinatra book is wonderful.
Mother and I got to see him perform in 1986 and it was awesome~
(2)

I found a box of books that were in the attic at the family farm. Nothing anyone has ever heard of. Found one called Beyond the Blue Mountains. 1946 set in Australia when it was a penal colony. Fairly good story.
(3)

If anyone is interested in reading anything about caring for a mother with alzheimer's I sure do recommend George Hodgman's Bettyville. It is about Mr. Hodgman, who grew up in Missouri, then became an Editor in New York City, moving back to Missouri to care for his mother in her last years. It is poignant and has many sad moments, but there are also many moments that are laugh-out-loud funny. It's a remarkable memoir. Mr. Hodgman very recently died at 60, sadly of suicide, so this book may be a bit difficult to find out this second, but it will be around.
(5)

The first one really resonated with me and the second is pure fun.

Lessons From Lucy: The Simple Joys of an Old, Happy Dog (2019) by Dave Barry

Barry wrote about turning 40, turning 50 and now, after a hiatus regarding his sixth decade, considers turning 70. He's unhappy about aging, and boy, he describes it well. The doddering mind, the doddering body, the doddering soul, all get the funny Barry treatment, except he's finding life less funny than exasperating and unfulfilling. So he consults the family dog, Lucy, and she gives him life lessons that she, who has turned 12, didn't have any trouble at all learning. Barry is grateful enough to pass them along to us; I especially liked "Don't lie. You probably don't have a good enough reason, and you'll forget what you said anyway." *paraphrased* 

Squirm (2018) by Carl Hiaasen

Hiaasen has adolescence down superbly: the frighteningly sharp mind, the bravery in some things and the shyness in others, and the yearning to emulate parents, but not quite exactly. His protagonist, Billy Dickens, is 14, loves snakes and doesn't want to move around anymore (his divorced mom will only live near a bald eagle nest and when a nesting pair leaves for any reason, she uproots Billy and his older sister, Belinda, to find another nest to live by). Billy hares off to Montana once he discovers his dad's address; Dad has never called or visited since leaving his family when Billy was four. The plot involves Billy tracking down his dad, who "works secretly for the government," and getting to know him with the help of Dad's new family. Hiaasen writes plots that you can follow easily, even if each character is somewhat squirrelly, but in a nice way. Not the villain, though, a wealthy big game hunter who wishes to bag a rare Florida panther "before they're all gone."

Like Hiaasen's Hoot, this book delivers an environmental message, has plenty of action, and an ending that isn't quite pat. Hiaasen satisfies summer reading as nobody else does, even if he didn't write my favorite recurring character of his, Skink, this time.
(3)

Nearing the end of "The Sound of Glass"(finally), need a break as hospice just enters the story and a completely unknowing relative is taking on the responsibility. Tears😢
(1)

I finished the isobel Dalhousie series by Alexander McCall Smith and am more than half way through the Agatha Raisin series by M C Beaton. They are good light reading which is all I want these days Hamish McBeth is next in line I spent 4 years in Scotland so I enjoy reading books set there. Then I possibly will start reading some Jacqueline Windspear mysteries. They are set after WW1 in which my father fought and are somewhat historical which I think will be interesting. Reading is a great escape.
(3)

Becky, that title sounds so familiar.   Decades ago I read a lot of Victoria Holt books as well as others she wrote under different names.   Just checked; she also wrote under the name Jean Plaidy.   There's another book of the same title written by Celia Yeary.

Are either of these authors of the book you found?    Holt a/k/a Plaidy wrote series of historical mysteries, many set in England if I remember correctly.

Just finished Crucible by James Rollins, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really fascinated by AI and the possibilities (threats?) posed by AI achieving singularity.  

Rollins also incorporates dark subterranean scenes in his books.  His earlier ones that I read years ago were so unsettling I decided not to read any more, but didn't realize it was him when I read the synopsis of the book.  

I couldn't remember the name of another author, and thought it was one who wrote fascinating tales of mystery and searches, one of them being the search for the Amber Room fortune stolen by the Nazis. 

Before that I read The Flight Girls, about the WASPs who flew missions as civilians.   It's definitely my kind of book, and I especially enjoyed the discussions of civilian and military planes and their flight profiles.

Now I'm rereading Griffin and Sabine, which I read decades ago.   It's a peculiarly crafted series, with a lot of allegory, and a very unusual style of writing.    But it's also intriguing.
(2)

GA, I found the book. It’s the Jen Plaidey version. It’s a good summer read. I’m not ordinarily into the genre, but it was good.
(2)

Amber Room? Steve Berry. Read that probably ten years ago. Also, Alexandria Link, Templar Legacy, Romanov Prophecy, and some others. Must check on Berry again.
(3)

I am reading the Attitude of Grattitude.

It is easy, fun, and insightful. REnt it at library if you don't lile ot returm it
(2)

and the Dahlia Lama, biogragraphy.. Very interesintg
(1)

I've been rereading the Mary Russel/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R King, the early ones are especially good. IMO Ms King's books are all fantastic, I very much enjoyed the Kate Martinelli series and her stand alone novels as well.
(4)

The Mueller Report and One Giant Leap
(1)

I read my Kindle in bed at night til I’m ready to sleep. I just finished re-reading “Until the Twelfth of Never,” by Bella Stumbo. It’s about Betty Broderick, who shot and killed her ex-husband and his new wife. Betty is an interesting person, and though she’ll never get out of prison, I can kind of understand why she did it.
(2)

DB, A Woman Scorned is available on YouTube, no fee. I will check YT for movies on occasion. I don't usually find anything I would like to watch. Might watch this one yet today
(1)

Finally, finished The Sound of Glass! Thought I would last weekend, but fell asleep.

I am afraid to look back to see how long ago I started it.

I enjoy Karen White, haven't read anything of hers for probably ten years. Very interesting twists in a story that uses a 1959 plane crash to spin her story.

What next?
(2)

GladImHere, “A Woman Scorned” was a project that Dan Broderick’s siblings were heavily involved in. So it made Dan and Linda look like innocent angels, and Betty look like a lunatic shrew. Okay, Betty did shoot them dead, but he had cheated on her with his mistress Linda for three years, while gaslighting Betty about it and quietly moving assets as “loans” to his brother. Then Dan left his mistress dangling for three MORE years before he finally married her. Dan and Linda had been married six months when they were murdered.
(1)

I just started Taylor Caldwell’s “Answer as a Man.” Caldwell is far and away my favorite author, but I’ve not read half of the 40 or so novels she published. I loved her memoir “On Growing Up Tough.” Luckily her work is still in print for the most part.
Pretty big bucket list item there!
(2)

I just finished reading a really creepy book called Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman. It was very Silence of the Lambs like.

If you like scary suspense novels I'd recommend it. It is her debut novel and well written.
(2)

I've also been reading Chicken Soup for the Soul. Life Lessons from the cat.

There're just really short true stories from cat owners. I read one every night before I go to sleep. But I always have to go and hug my cats first. :)
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter